Premed 101 Forums

what a way to start the weekend!!!!!!!!!

Guest ssup

So I'm on TO searching for an apt since I'm supposed to be starting med school here in sept....then we get a call in Vancouver from U of A admissions. Now here's the problem: they wanted to speak to me directly and wouldn't leave any message with my mom. The lady took my e-mail address but then never sent me a message. All she said was for me to call her first thing monday morning. Oh and by the way, I'm waitlisted....so now I get to spend the entire weekend contemplating whether this means I got in....?!?!?!?!?

In any case....is it standard practice for them not to inform parents if someone is not available? Has anyone been called for any other reason lately?

Also, can anyone offer me some suggestions....how do I pick between U of T and U of A?!?!?!?

Ssup

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there ssup,

I'd say that it's safe to extend a hearty CONGRATULATIONS to you! Well done and happy picking! :)

Kirsteen

I would say you got in.... they wouldn't have called for any other reason (that I can think of) and Andrea doesn't usually leave a message saying you got in, she just says she called (I think lots of people spent a weekend agonizing over the phone call with no message).

Hope to see you in Sept! I would at least wait until Monday before signing a lease in TO if you are considering U of A. You sure would save a lot of money between the tuition and living expenses in Edmonton vs Toronto!

Guest summervirus

ssup: I'm positive it's an acceptance. Congratulations! Sorry, I won't be able to help you decide between the two schools. You'll have to make the tough choice yourself. ;)

I hope you guys are right!!!!!!!!

I have a few urgent Qs since I'm assuming if she offers me a position, I probably will have to get back to her with an answer right away...

So since I'm stranded in TO and don't have any of my notes on me, I'm hoping you guys can refresh my memory:

a) are there cumulative exams at u of a?

B) how much of the curriculum is PBL?

c) anatomy labs....already dissected or do we get some hands-on fun?

d) P/F/H right?

I know these are really basic questions but i interviewed at a few places and tend to always mix up the info if I don't have my notes on me so i just want to be 100% sure.

Also, tuition is 8000 (1rst yr), 10000 (2nd yr) and 12000 (3rd yr) right? what about 4th yr?

Thanks guys,

Ssup

Guest Misty

Congratulations Ssup!! It's an acceptance for sure!!!

I just got a call from Andrea Tuesday afternoon. She tried my house and just left a message to call her back but then called me at work and told me the good news! :) I think that you have the tuition right. Andrea told me that classes start Sept 2nd. Does anyone know if there anything before that? Orientation week or something? Haven't recieved anything in the mail yet.

Misty

Orientation actually starts on Sept 2 and I don't think classes start until the following week (the 8). Congrats Misty! Will you be accepting your offer? Are you in-province?

Guest mirrille

Hi ssup!

Sounds to me like an acceptance is very likely . Congrats! To answer your question, Andrea isn't allowed to tell your parents anything unless you specifically designated them (i think in writing) as people who can speak on your behalf in the event of an admissions decision. There's a form can sign to do this, and if you didn't, then that's probably why she couldn't say what the phone call was about.

Guest mirrille

a) are there cumulative exams at u of a?

Exams in the first 2 years can be cumulative or non-cumulative depending on the particular block you are in. They are not cumulative from block to block. So if you are in block 4, your final could be cumulative, including material from the block 4 midterm. However, you will not be examined on material from block 3. At the end of second year, you have to write a comprehensive exam for the first 2 years.

B) how much of the curriculum is PBL?

This depends entirely on the block you are in. My guess would be in the region of 5-8 hours a week of PBL meetings. PBL is usually contributes a certain percentage towards your final grade, but as long as you pass the section, you get credited the all the marks for the PBL component. Everything covered in PBL that you have to know is covered later in lecture, so don't worry too much about missing material because your group just didn't happen to find it. I can't really compare to other schools, because I haven't gone to them, but I get the impression that we get less than other schools. That's fine for me because I find PBL very inefficient and not really all it's cracked up to be. I'd actually prefer if we had less of it, but you find enough people who seem to like it.

c) anatomy labs....already dissected or do we get some hands-on fun?

Hands-on fun. Lucky you. :D

d) P/F/H right?

right.

Guest summervirus

Yup, it's just like mirrille said. :)

Just to clarify a bit though, there are two sets of cumulative exams: one at the end of 2nd year and one at the end of 4th year.

UofA has a lot of exams. Unlike many schools, there is a comprehensive exam at the end of 2nd year. It is intended to force students to review everything they learned in medical school up to that point. The students then proceed to 3rd and 4th year, which are purely clinical (yay, no more lectures) with a good review and understanding of medicine.

Then, at the end of 4th year, all students across Canada need to write the national licensing exam (MCCQE or the "LMCC"). It examines all of the content taught in medical school. In addition to the LMCC, UofA students need to write a set of exams administered independently by our school too. It’s a week of exams (with both written and oral components).

Although this exam can be very stressful, some students have told me its beneficial because they are taken before the licensing exam and everything is already fresh in their minds.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:rollin

Judging by the rxn I'm sure you've guessed...got the offer this morning from Andrea! Have not stopped smiling since then :D ...considering I wasn't nearly this happy when U of T made their offer, I'm taking this as a sign that I should pick U of A!!!! Who knows though...they've given me one week to get back to them! I'm sure I'll be back and forth a million times over the next week....still considering u of a was my top choice for med school, you can imagine the high i'm on right now!:smokin

Good luck to everyone still waiting....I'll see the rest of you in Sept (most probably)!

Ssup

Archived