Premed 101 Forums

When will we hear?

Guest DixielandDelight

Guest DixielandDelight

Does anyone know when the February-interviewed applicants will hear back regarding their status?

I know that around 65 offers of admission were made to this group in April...

I hope since the admissions process has been faster this year, we will hear back before the "late June or early July" that they say in the interview letter.

Guest chemgirl

I read in another post somewhere that we will hear back by the end of May this year. I don't remember who said it tho or where the post was.

I am still waiting as well... I hope we find out sooner rather than later, even if it is bad news :|

Guest Phil667

What's the deal with the early acceptances they gave out. I don't think I remember them doing that last year. So, if they already gave out 64 acceptances to the 4th year + pool then that means the rest of us 4th + years are competing for the last 36 spots? Why not offer them all at the same time? Why wait another 2 months to let the rest of us know?

Just my thoughts

Phil

They did give out early acceptances last year, too, but not as many. As for the answers to your other questions, I have no idea. Maybe they're waiting for this term's marks to differentiate the rest of the applicants, and maybe they're waiting for people to complete their honour's project so they get more points, which may move them up a few spots.... These are just guesses on my part. Maybe someone else knows better.

Guest aguinar

But if they are waiting for winter term marks to come in and transcripts aren't due until June 15th, that means that it will be late June until anyone else hears anything...:rolleyes

Guest snoopychan

A thought and then a question...

My insight into why they offer only 64/100 spots for the 4+ yr pool is that they have an approximately 15% quota for out-of-province applicants, translating into 19 spots or so. Since there are OOP applicants in both pools, they cannot possible offer all 100 spots right away as they have to wait for the 2nd/3rd OOP applicants to be interviewed, preventing a lack of spots for successful 2nd/3rd year OOP applicants (ex., 19 OOP offers for first rounders who all accept, leaving no spots for 2nd round OOP applicants). This is my take on it as an OOP applicant interviewed in February who is still waiting. Although the 19 spots don't account for the remaining 36 offers, it could be a piece of the puzzle.

Now my question: Of the 64 offers made in February, how many were actually accepted? As some people may decline, there may be more than 36 spots remaining, which is good news for those still waiting. Could someone in the know shed some light on this? Thanx

My understanding of the OOP quota is that 15% of the 4 year+ seats AND 15% of the 2/3 year seats are offered to OOP students, it isn't a combined 15% (ie. 15/100 seats for the 4+ category go to OOP and 3 or 4 2/3 year seats are offered to OOP). Since second and third year students are in a completely different group than 4 year+ students, they don't compete against one another, therefore when they make the offers to these two groups doesn't affect the other group. In the past it has been U of A's policy to offer early admission to some students, so I don't think the reasons for doing so this year are any different than they have been in previous years, I just don't know the exact reasons.

As for your question, my guess would be that SOME people may have now declined their offer after originally accepting the U of A offer since Calgary's admission offers were made. But those on Calgary's waitlist will still be holding onto their spot at U of A. This is all speculation..... Maybe one of the moderators will know more.

Archived