Premed 101 Forums

Med student housing

Guest dentyne

Guest dentyne

Does anyone know of any med students that have lived in, say, HUB, for example, while attending medical school? Is it a good idea at all? Where do a majority of first year med students seem to reside?

Dentyne

Guest mirrille

There are people living in HUB and Newton Place. A word of advice: when applying for those upper year residences, put yourself down as a "grad student" because if you put down "first year" they'll get confused and think you are a first year undergrad and won't let you in. Those are apartment style residences

There are also some people living in what I think are the more traditional dormitory-style residences for lower years.

There are quite a few apartment buildings close by campus where a good number of students are living. It's a cute area. There are also some little houses where families rent out a room or basement in the same area. Alot of us are living in that area. I live there, have no car, and it's fairly convenient. School, groceries, drug store, banks, all in walking distance.

Some people also live downtown, which isn't as bad as it sounds because the LRT can take you from there to campus in not too much time.

Have a look around and see what is convenient for you and what fits your budget.

Guest shkelo

Are you looking for a 1-bedroom or a 2-bedroom? I know where a great deluxe 2-bedroom apartment is right now. It won't last. Very close to the U of A (< 5 min walking distance) and very upscale without the being $$. Rent will be around $800, but includes in-suite laundry, a spacious deck, a dishwasher, and ample storage space. Some of the units also have a single car garage and a second bathroom. Call 780-435-1889 or 436-0228. By comparison, some of the apartments across the street from the hospital will cost $730-800 for a 1-bedroom and $900-1200 for a 2-bedroom (plus $ for parking and no insuite laundry - more $$). Newton Place is also right across from the hospital and is more reasonable priced (Bachelor $535 - $555; 1 Bedroom $672 - $692; 2 Bedroom $864 - $884). The apartment I've mentioned above is nicer though.

You can also check out student housing on campus (www.hfs.ualberta.ca/ ) or search the housing registry set up by the SU for students (www.su.ualberta.ca/su/bus...s/infoserv ). A word to the wise, most of the apartments around the university area do not need to advertise. They usually only put out a sign on the lawn. If you want a place for September, go looking right at the 1st of the every month up and down the streets.

Guest DixielandDelight

The place sounds amazing! Are you the one renting, or is it someone else?

I am going to call about it...

Dixie,

Incoming UofA med 1

Guest summervirus

Hi,

I've been away for a while so I haven't had a chance to reply until now. :) Both shkelo and mirrille have really great advice and info!

I made up a list of phone numbers last year of the places around the hospital area that are available for rent... unforunately, I left my housing list in Edmonton and I don't have any phone numbers with me in Calgary. Sorry! :(

But, I recently wrote an e-mail to a friend about housing and schtuff so I'll just cut and paste parts of the e-mail here:

There are a few places that are good to live. Like shkelo said, the first place to look for places is on the Students' Union online housing registry.

I know that there are quite a few of my classmates that live downtown. However, if you choose to live downtown too, I suggest that you find a place near the LRT-line. You'll need to take the LRT across the river to get to the UofA. The buses don't operate very efficiently so try not to rely on them if you don't have to. I have a friend that lives close to the Grey Nuns Hospital, which is in the south part of the city. He needs to take two buses to get home so it's typically a one-hour bus ride (one way). So, he wastes a lot of time getting to and from classes every day.

If you plan to live downtown, a few places that I heard are okay include "Lancaster" and most of the buildings along Jasper Ave and the Corona LRT station (if I remember correctly).

If you live away from the university (like in downtown), the rent is typically cheaper than what you'll find in the university-area. But, remember to calculate the cost of transportation and utilities. Most of the places near the university include basic utlities (but you still have to pay for cable, internet, and phone yourself).

I think that most of the out-of-town students (including myself) live in the university-area. I think that a 10-20 minute walk to the hospital is very reasonable and convenient.

A lot of students live in "Windsor Park Plaza/Lofts." It's an apartment complex that's around 3 blocks away from the hospital. But, it's quite expensive. If I remember correctly, a bachelor's suite can cost you $700, a one bedroom $850+, and a two bedroom over $950. Utilities are included. (The reason this place is so expensive is because they have a swimming pool, gym, theatre, party room, etc.)

A less well-known apartment complex is "Garneau Bay." It's actually a lot cheaper than "Windsor Park" and it's even closer to the hospital! I have three friends that live there and rent costs around $650 for a one bedroom, if I remember correctly. I think this includes utilities. (I think there are only bachelor's and one bedroom suites).

Another really popular place is "Garneau Towers." Most places around the university area cost around the same amount (give-or-take $100 or so). My friend is paying around $750 for a one bedroom on the 18th floor and she's sharing with someone so it's really cheap for them. Suites located on the lower floors are cheaper, of course; but you'll have to deal with more street noise. The problem with "Garneau Towers" is that the floors are all hardwood. So, you can hear the people above and below you if they're noisy. There are also bachelor's and two bedroom suites available.

There's a place that's one Whyte Ave (around 5 blocks from the hospital) that's supposed to be really nice. It's called "Concord Place." I've been told that it's well kept and costs around the same as "Garneau Towers."

I'm going to be living in "Newton Place" next year. This is literally the closest you can get to the hospital. It's directly across the street. (You may have seen it when you came for the interview. There's a Subway, Chinese restaurant, and pizza place on the ground floor). It used to be a private apartment but the university purchased it a few years ago so now it's part of residence. The layout is pretty good. (Actually, I think the entire floor plan is exactly the same as "Garneau Towers"). Because it's residence, it's a bit cheaper. I think it costs around $500-600 for a bachelor's, $600-700 for a one bedroom, $700-800 for a two bedroom. If you want to go there, apply NOW because the waiting list is LONG.

Alternatively, if you apply for residence, you might be considering HUB. I do NOT recommend HUB. I have quite a few friends there and they think it's okay. There's even someone in my class that's there. But, it's really noisy! HUB is residence built into a mall.

Hmm. That's all I can think of right now for housing. There's more, I'm sure.

You will most likely hear the ambulances go by if you live close to the hospital. I know it took a few weeks for me to get used to, (especially because I live right across the street from ER)! But, really, it's not super terrible. I know people who live a fair distance away from the hospital (a 20-minute walk away) and they're waken up in the middle of the night by other things/people... like late night partiers on the street. But, after a few weeks, you really do get used to it.

Oh yeah, one more thing, the hospital is around a 5-10 minute walk to Safeway... the closest supermarket... so living close by is also helpful in that way.

I hope this helps!

If you are planning on living with roommates, you can probably find something cheaper (ie. a house) a little further away. I bike to school (I live off 99 St) and it takes about 10 minutes (or 40 to walk). It is actually faster to ride than to drive, but you have to put up with the freezing cold winter. There are two of us that live in the house, we have the upstairs and downstairs (we both have our own offices, three bedrooms, fenced in yard etc) and we pay 500 a month each, including utilities (but not cable, internet, and phone). This seems to be a great deal considering one bedroom apartments are becoming more and more expensive in Edmonton. So, I guess it depends on how close you want to be vs. how much you want to pay in rent. When I moved to Edmonton I checked the Edmonton Journal (http://www.canada.com) and there are lots of listings for places to rent. I took a place without seeing it, and it worked out well for me (moved a year later).

Oh, I have seen a house lately (very cute house) closer to the U than my house and it is for three or four people (I can't remember, but I know the downstairs has a separate suite, but the landlord requires everyone to sign the lease together) and the total rent is $1200 a month. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can get the phone number.

Hi everyone,

I just found an apartment recently, in downtown Edmonton. For those of you not from Edmonton (I'm not), I found that living downtown seems to be a good option. The apartment I'm staying at is only 30 mins walk to school, and the LRT line is 2 blocks away/direct bus is right outside my front door. Alot of the University property i found (though I only looked for a weekend) was quite a few blocks away and it varied alot in quality - it would have taken me longer to get to school to walk that distance than to take the LRT from downtown. Also, if safety is an issue with anyone (ie girls living by themselves), my friend in our apartment block said that the walk-home program at U of A will take the LRT with you and walk you to your apartment if it is within 3 blocks of the LRT station. I'm splitting a 2 bedroom and rent and utilities (heat, elec, phone, and internet) and parking for a car is going to cost under $600 a piece (x2). Plus, there are awesome amenities in the building (gym, hot tub, games and TV room, party room) for free! Hope this gives the 'downtown' perspective.

Megs

Guest shkelo

I lived in Garneau Towers for 3 years. The suites are comfortable and nice, but they seem to raise the rent every time you resign the lease. My rent for a 2-bedroom suite went from $675/month to $950/mo over a 3-year period (plus $35/mo for a parking stall). I hear now that rent at Garneau Towers is up again, now >$1000 for a 2-bedroom and $50/mo for non-reserved parking or $75/mo for reserved parking. Although high rise apartments are popular with many of my classmates, I think they are too expensive to justify the extra monthly cost (especially if you're also considering student loans for med school). There are some great places to live close to the university for reasonable money. A friend of mine lives in a recently renovated 1-bedroom apartment 6 blocks away from the university. She pays $550/mo + elec.

Guest kellyl20

don't forget Pembina Hall for grad (med, dent will qualify) students.

Under $500 for 1 bedroom includes all except phone. Computer room with fast internet for free use.

I agree with shkelo that the hi-rises are getting pretty expensive. Heat and water in, we are paying $920 for a 2 bedroom (plus elec, phone etc.). I found that, from the major buildings that had 2 bedrooms available (lots in the Garneau area), the price of ours is really comparable (or less than). But as summervirus posted, you do have to factor in transportation costs. The only reason I bring up the downtown area is for out-of-towners who maybe don't have the ability to check out apartments many weekends. You can find lots of these apartments on the internet to visually see the rooms and layout, vs. renting unseen properties that advertise on their lawns. Take care!

Meghan

Archived