Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculation

Guest Sumi23

Hi all,

Does anyone know how U of A calculates the cumulative GPA and prerequisite GPA? I am in fourth year, so does that mean my worst year is dropped and my best two years plus the current year are used for the cumulative GPA calculation? I have taken more than the required number of prereqs in each category so are the highest grades used to calculate the prereq gpa? I am a UBC student so I am a little confused about how my grades are converted to the 9 point scale. Do they use percentages or letter grades? Sorry about asking so many questions. Thanks for all your help.

Sumi

Guest Ian Wong

I managed to find this on the U of A website under Section 15. here:

www.med.ualberta.ca/ugme/admissions/md/md_faq.html

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr>

15. If I have a bad year, will it be used in the GPA calculation?

The GPA is calculated on all undergraduate university course work you have ever done with the exception of applicants who have completed four or more years of university. For applicants with four or more years of completed university work, the admissions cumulative academic average is calculated with the deletion of the lowest annual average, provided it is not the most recent completed year, or the one and only year where 30 units of course weight (five full course equivalents) have been completed.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Wish I could help out more, but I suspect the best people to contact are the admissions folks themselves. Chances are good (I would think), that they would take the earliest pre-req courses (ie. the first and second year courses if possible) as those are the courses that other applicants likely also completed, which would give the admissions committee a more standardized grading scheme to compare between candidates. You should really check with them if you are worried.

I'm also not certain how the GPA conversion works. UBC somehow managed to convert my UVic 9-point scale GPA into a percentage grade; still not sure how they pulled that one off!

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest missing Manitoba

Hi Sumi23,

I'm a little confused by the U of A's grade scheme, too. This comes from the point directly below the one Ian quoted:

"16. I failed a course, repeated it and got a better mark. How will my GPA be calculated?

If a course is repeated, the University of Alberta will not use grades for courses you have received credit for already. To upgrade marks and have the course used towards your application, you would need to take a higher-level course and receive a higher grade."

This suggests to me that they would use the higher-level course if you received a higher mark. Also, in another section of the U of A website, they do list a number of subjects (i.e. anatomy, physiology, etc.) that can be used as biology pre-reqs, and, generally speaking, many of these are not first year classes -- nor are physical chemistry and inorganic chemistry, which are listed as possible chem pre-reqs, intro chem courses.

As for converting grades,

Guest missing Manitoba

As for converting grades, I'm not sure exactly how Alberta does it; however, at most schools, if both a letter grade and a numerical mark are available, the numerical mark will be used for the conversion.

The University of Calgary site has a grade conversion chart for interconverting between Alberta schools and other schools in Canada:

www.med.ucalgary.ca/admis...scale.html

Archived