Premed 101 Forums

Interview Length

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

Hello,

I'm just curious, to people who got accepted/rejected/waitlisted.

Approximately how long were your interviews at UBC?

I was accepted and it was an hour.

I'm just wondering if length had anything to do with it.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I was waitlisted and my interview lasted 90 minutes. Incidentally, I thought my interview went very well, but from the waitlist letter, it appears that the selection process was based on many more factors other than interview performance. This is quite different from the approaches of those medical schools which allow the interview to count for essentially all of the final selection process.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Jazz

Mine was 25-30 min, which freaked me out at the time. In hindsight, I think the length has more to do with how fast the interviewee answers the questions as the number of questions seem to be standardized.

Kirsteen, would you mind sharing with us the content of the letter? How did the selection process differed this yr? Thanks.

Guest grins

My interview was only 25 minutes long. I got accepted at PG, 1st choice. The length of the interview worried me a bit, but I guess it didn't matter. *grins*

Guest Miller

My interview lasted about 70 mins. I felt it went very well. Not as well as my Calgary interview ( I was waitlisted there!), but well enough because I got in. I went into that room thinking to myself "I am READY to be a doctor NOW." I tried to answer every question to show that I have had life experiences which prepaired me, not only to become a doctor, but also led me to think of medicine as the right path for me. I think they want to see people that are ready for it now and don't need another year of life to get them there. Just a thought.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Regarding the UBC waitlist letter, here's one of the most informative paragraphs inre the selection process:

"The Admissions Selection Committee considered all material submitted in support of your application (including transcripts, MCAT scores, reference letters, autobiographical essay, list of extra-curricular activities, correspondence) as well as interview performance, when making final selections for admission. Members of the Selection Committee considered each variable independently, as well as the combination of data gethered for each applicant."

It certainly does not sound as though the interview was the primary deciding factor for a first round acceptance. Well done those of you who won one! :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest physiology

My interview officially lasted 50 minutes. But I took the time to ask them questions at the end. I wanted to know why they were interested in interviewing.

However, the community member did scribble things down as I was asking.

So maybe it wasn't officially over?

Guest threeputt

Mine was about 40-45 minutes, and I didn't think too positively on it, looking back. Just goes to show you that we have very little idea about how well an interview goes... I guess I answered the 'integrity' question well! :P

Guest Bleepo

Mine went for about 40-45 min as well... and I didn't have a good feeling coming out of it ..mainly because I felt that I totally screwed up the integrity question which was the last thing they asked me. So my acceptance came as a HUGE shock! :rollin

Guest ubcpharmer

My interview startes late b/c the previous went too long. nevertheless, we chatted for almost an hour. i didn't ask any questions as the interviewers were all eyeing the clock in an attempt to stay on schedule

Guest sparkle

My interview was exactly 45mins...and I was rejected. I felt the questions were so standardized that it was difficult to really "sell" your personal experiences...just a thought.

Looks like interview length isn't really correlated to acceptance.

Guest 4EverRose

Hi everybody,

I got accepted and mine was 40-45 minutes. I came out of the interview feeling pretty good. Like physiclogy, I asked the panel the question of "why are you interested in interviewing applicants?" so it was an extra 3-5 minutes for them to answer the question.

Guest Tousie

Hi:)

My interview length was 75 min, including a little chat at the end and I was accepted.

Physiology: That is crazy! We had the same panel and asked the same question at the end! :lol I too, asked about why they were interested in the process and how they had found the experience.

BTW, their answer was that they LOVED it and that they were blown away by the talent displayed by all the interviewees. They really went on about how incredible they found the applicant pool to be. I think that says a lot, not only about those accepted, but about everyone who applied/was interviewed in general. ;)

Guest Thumbelina

My interview lasted almost an hour.. I thought it went fairly well, except for the fact that one of the interviewers kept yawning! (But I was their last interviewee for the day)... and I got accepted. Also at the end of the interview.. I was going to ask them a question but instead one of the interviewers asked me if he could ask me a question "off the record" .. which I thought was interesting.

Guest McCarey007

I was the last to be interviewed for the day as well, and my panel asked me a question "off the record."

My interview was 40 mins, but time just seemed to fly by so quickly. I think they were trying to speed things up to get out since I was the last one.

I felt pretty good about my interview as well because I answered the last 3 questions comfortably and honestly.

Guest soapyslicer

Mine was 25 min and at that point they told me it was over and would I mind just having a chat about my research.

I asked the PG GP how he felt things were for docs working in isolation re: lifestyle and income. I asked the community person (who was east indian) if she could describe for me the dynamics of the EI family that would help me understand the culture in a way it would benefit my future as a physician. Not quite asked so formal but you get the idea.

In the end they seemed very positive but I still began to doubt after a while. Our 'chat' lasted the rest of the hour.

soapy

Guest Koppertone

Mine was 25 minutes and I was rejected. I felt that, out of 5 interviews that I had, I performed the worst on this one. And I was also accepted to the school that I thought I did the best in (which, coincidently, required me to fly out the same day as the UBC int.) so I guess I'm a decent judge of how well I perform at interviews.

Guest Makunouchi

Mine lasted just under 1 hour. Nice and relaxing... some ad lib by one of the interviewers (not sure if the others liked that)... anyhow, chatted for a bit afterwards, and that was it. Felt good, but result was poor.

Archived