Premed 101 Forums

alternate list

Guest cp00739

Guest cp00739

i'm on the alternate list..does anyone have any advice on what my chances are now???????????????????

does anyone know how many are on the alternative list and how deep they go in the list????

thanks alot!!

Hey cp00739

Sorry I don't know much about the alternate list. The only person I ever knew on it got in and she found out beginning of August. I think she was told she was in the middle of the list.

Since you know you are on the alternate list I am assuming that you called admissions. I was just wondering if all the calls have been made yet and if they tell everyone by phone.

?????????????

Kat,

I asked a bunch of my friends here in Calgary and not many of them got calls (only 2 out of 10 did). They are waiting for the letters.

Guest medwannabe

I'm curious,

has anyone else in the 2/3 year pool received a letter stating that they are on the waiting list as well???

Hi...

I found out on Friday (by phone) that I was accepted by the U of A. Yesterday morning (Wednesday) is when I recieved my official letter... I'm guessing things may take a bit longer to get to Calgary (1-2 days more), so don't stress if you haven't got a letter yet... I went to drop off my $175 confirmation today, and the women in the admissions office seemed a lot happier (the stress must be less now that acceptances are out) so, DH, maybe it would be okay to give them a call tomorrow if you haven't got a letter yet...

DH,

The # of the admissions office (UA) is 780-492-6350. I'm not sure if the assistant who answers the phones can give you the info you're seeking, or if you need to ask to speak to Marlene Healey.

EB

Guest monkey

Hi y'all,

Well it seems like if you havent recieved a letter by today then it means your file is still open and you're still being considered for seats...but now u'll be competing against those who interview in July...

July interviews start this Monday and they'll re-review all applicant files (still open) by the end of the month. So another month's wait for all those who havent heard back.

Good luck to all! Now i'm off to the Stampede. YE-HAWW! :)

Hhhmm... I don't know for sure what it means to not have gotten a letter by now... a friend of mine (3rd year B.Sc.) called the office and found out he's "waitlisted", but he still hasn't got a letter from them...

Monkey, did you find anything out about your file?

EB

Guest cp00739

does anyone have any info regarding alternate list??

how far do they go on the list???

how many people are on it??

if anyone has any of this info..thanks!!

Guest Makhla

How can UofA set up an alternate list if they still have seats left?

If you haven't received any news from Edmonton does that mean you didn't make it the alternate list, but if all the candidates interviewing in July rank lower than you, you may make it on the alternate list.

Or does it mean you are ranked higher than those candidates placed on the alternate list and are still being considered for the few remaining spots available after the July interviews? After these seats are filled do you then get placed on the alternate list.

Oh the wait.... (envious of all those early acceptees)

Makhla

the people on the waitlist right now could easily get in if the number of good interviews from the july pool is very small... the u of a took their top choices and gave early acceptance in april/may, then took their next choices (2/3rd year students and 4th yr+) and gave june/july acceptances... those in the current waitlist pool may be at the top of the list for the next batch of acceptances in mid-july... if you're still waitlisted by august, then i'd worrya bit more. from what i've heard, the waitlist doesnt move much at the u of a, but that those people who get called off it are given spots quite late (a few days before/after classes start).

so what about those of us with "open files", are we better or worse off than those on the waitlist?

and Im just wondering, where are you getting your info from?

Thx

N,

No one I know has an "open file". I don't know what the difference is between that status and a waitlist. A few people I know have been waitlisted/rejected in the past, and a few friends are waitlisted right now... Lots of them have had their files opened, and one of the people who found out he was waitlisted yesterday asked the secretary at admissions to explain how he would be considered in the last round of acceptances. That's where I'm getting my info from. I've only applied to U of A once, so I don't have any experience with waitlisting... I'm not sure if the info came directly from Marlene or not, after all, there are 3 or 4 women in that office...

Oh yah, the bit about not that many waitlisters actually getting in comes from people I've met who are currently in med at the U of A... I guess it seems that from talking to classmates, not that many were originally waitlisted.

Have a nice night,

EB

I got the term "open file" from another post, I gather that the term means you have not received any letters or calls, but maybe its just that your waitlisted letter is still on its way.

Guest The Fox Rox

Hi Erin,

I was just wondering, is 'waitlist' that you refer to in you posts the same as 'alternate list' or is there anydifference between them. Thanks so much for you info.

Hi Fox Rox,

Yup, they're the same... I'm so used to the term "waitlist" that I haven't picked up using "alternate list"... I hope I didn't worry you by making you think that there are two different lists going.

EB

Guest monkey

Hey EB,

I got a letter saying i got waitlisted. So i guess if i wanted UA i would have to play the waiting game! I would like to have spoken with Marlene on friday to find out exactly how does the July interview affect this list, but i guess i'll have to wait till tuesday (she wasnt in and no one wanted to really comment on this).

good luck to all those who have interviews this monday!

cheers!

Hi Monkey,

According to my letter, the "Confirmation of Admission form" and $175 deposit need to be returned by July 17. I guess the list will start moving after that date...

EB

Archived