Premed 101 Forums

alternate list

Guest cp00739

does anyone know when we might hear from UA med if we're still being considered for a spot on the class list for next year? Next week? end of month?

Im just wondering because I still have not heard anything from UA med (no acceptance, no rejection, no waitlist). Im assuming that its extremely unlikely for my letter to have been lost in the mail :-/

thanks

N

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi N,

I'm not really sure how Alberta admissions work, but I can tell you that my OOP alternate list letter gave me the option of accepting my place on the list or declining so that the waitlist spot could be filled by someone else. (I declined.) The letters are due back at U of A tomorrow, so it's quite possible that more waitlist letters (if nothing else) will be sent out once they've been sorted through. That being said, I have no idea how many students, either in-province or OOP, turn down acceptances or waitlist spots. I suspect that there will be less movement among in-province students than OOP students.

Good luck! :)

Guest makhla

I've heard that if you haven't heard anything from UofA yet it means one of two things. Either, A) you've been rejected or B) you are still in competition with the July interviewees for the the few remaining seats and have not yet been placed on the waiting list.

Is this true?

And if so does anyone know when the adcom reconvenes to decide who takes the final spots.

Cheers,

Makhla

Guest The Fox Rox

Yeah, thats the impression I got when I talked to the admin people.

Hopefully we will hear from them late next week, but this is purely speculation.

Guest medwannabe132

to all those in the year 2/3 pool.

I talked with andrea (admission's counselor) and she said that ALL the spots in this pool have been given out. Interviews conducted in july did not involve year 2/3 applicants.

she also said that it is next to impossible to get in off the waiting list if you are a year 2/3 applicant since the waiting list does not move very much (if at all) for this pool of applicants.

I guess we'll have to try again next year!!

Guest shkelo

According to the posts around this time last year, you won't have to wait much longer. All letters (mostly rejections) were sent out around the third week of July. There are likely only a handful of spots remaining, if that. The odds of getting an acceptance now are not good, unfortunately, unless you're still on the alternate list. Even then...

If you're (re)applying next year, remember that U of A requires all academic and non-academic material (including essay, resume, and reference letters) by the application deadline on Nov. 1st, not Jan. 15th as in previous years. For consideration as a 2nd year applicant, you must have already written the MCAT this summer (after 1st year basically), since they are doing away with allowing applicants to write the following April MCAT and still have it apply to next year's application cycle. As of next year, applicants graduating with honors degrees get bonus points towards their application. I'm sure some of these new rules are going to affect a few people who frequent this board. It's best if you know these things now.

Guest mirrille

I just got into University of Alberta off the waitlist today.

I was phoned today and told that the package will be in the mail in the next few days. I will have 2 weeks after the package is sent to give a yes or no answer (I will be accepting.) So even though they are calling people, I suspect the actual movement will proceed slowly, because you do get two weeks to decide.

My gpa is around 3.86 (OMSAS scale - can't remember what it is on the 9.0 scale).

MCAT was 12/13/15 R.

I am an OOP who just finished my 4th year in a 5 year program, so I'm not sure if they considered me as a 2/3 year applicant or a bona fide 4th year applicant.

Archived