Premed 101 Forums

meeting before sept 3?

Guest rjs

hey,

i got this idea from the mcgill board... why don't those of us who use this forum and who are just starting year 1 at the U of A get together before the big orientation on sept 3? i for one won't know anybody this fall... and i thought it might be nice to see a friendly face on the first day...

i'm guessing everyone will be in edmonton by the end of august, right? we could just meet on campus for a coffee/drink and chat...

let me know if you think this is a good idea.

ryan

Guest summervirus

Hiya. Like yourself, I don't know anyone either. So, it would be nice to meet some people. :D But, the problem is, I don't know when I'll be in Edmonton. I still haven't found a place to live yet and I probably will be moving on September 1st or 2nd.

summervirus,

where are you living right now?

i've seen a few postings on campus for housing/condos/roommates, and i think i've seen some vacancies in the whyte ave area over the last month... is the reason you haven't found housing because you haven't found time to come to edmonton? or is it because you haven't found something in your price range?

i'm on the u of a campus everyday, so if you'd like i can take a look at housing ads posted on the bulletin baords and email the info to you if you'd like... i know what a pain looking for housing is... when i thought i might have to move to calgary i was having a tough time finding a cheap place close to campus to live at....

EB

Guest summervirus

Thanks for helping, EB. I appreciate it. But, I wouldn't want to inconvenience you. :)

I'm living in Calgary right now.

I've been phoning around. I already checked out the online housing information from the UofA SU website. I also had a friend of mine walk around the streets near campus to copy down all the phone numbers of the apartments with vacancies.

At present, I've contacted over 30 places. Unfortunately, most of them cannot guarantee me a spot for September. I am on the waiting list for 3 places though. They said that they will get back to me within the first few days of August.

Hopefully, I'll be able to secure a spot by Saturday. :D

summervirus,

that's insane that no one can guarantee you a spot... are they asking you to rent for the month of august in order to hold the apartments? (that's what most places in calgary wanted... even though i didn't want to move in until august and was willing to put a deposit, they still wanted july's full rent as well... that didn't make me too happy).

just to let you know, the housing on campus can vary quite a bit in quality even though they're pretty much all equal in distance from the hospital/med sci buildings... HUB is a nice set up, but the walls are thin (i have a friend who can hear ALL his neighbour's "activities" at night... gets on his nerves quite a bit) and you don't get much space... Plus, it's quite expensive, the cheapest is a bachleor's - and those apartments are comparable to a walk in closet.

The lister hall residence is okay, but I've heard res life can get pretty melodramatic with all the fights/breakups/relationships/etc that get formed... But, they do have that little "bar" in the building... would be nice in winter seeing as you wouldn't have to walk very far to go partying... the garneu walkups are okay if you don't mind roomates... you get a balcony, living room, kitchen, your own room, etc...

do you own a vehicle? if so, that might be a problem with campus housing... parking's not so great on campus, and it can get pricey... but, i don't think a car is a 100% must in Edmonton as long as you're living near Whyte ave...

by the way, i met someone from the u of c while i was interviewing... i think they were doing their B.Sc. Honors in BioChem (i read your stats in the accepted/rejected thread)... are you a thin, asian girl with long hair? if so, i think i we may have met...

EB

Guest summervirus

EB, thanks for the advice. :)

There was one place that wanted me to start renting for the month of August; but, it costs too much -- $1200/month on Saskatchewan Drive. :eek The other places I called told me there are no vacancies but they can add my name to the list of interested applicants. :(

I signed up for residence on campus. I was specifically interested in the HUB... but, I've been waiting since January, I think.

Unfortunately, I don't own a vehicle... only a pair of rollerblades... and I tend to wipe-out. :D So, I'm restricted to finding a place that lies close to the LRT route or that is in the university neighborhood.

I heard that there isn't much vacancy in Edmonton. Someone reported 0.9% to me. Added to that, there are two graduating classes from Ontario to compete with for housing: the grade 12's and 13's. :x

By the way, I'm not the girl you met at your UC interview. I'm a boy... haha. :b There aren't many students in my program; I think there are only around 25 students in third year biochem. From your description, I believe that you're thinking of a girl called Vivian. (She's very polite, kinda pale, and wears glasses, right)? :)

summervirus,

living downtown can be a bit cheaper than the university, but i'm not sure its worth it... my (ex)boyfriend lived on ~105 st & 99 ave, and he paid about $100 less than he is right now in his apartment on whyte ave... i think his rent is $475/month for a one bed room... it's about a 15-20 minute walk from campus...

Saskatchewan drive is pretty expensive! What you're paying for is that fabulous view of the river-valley... A friend of mine is currently trying to rent out his condo @ 1150/month so I guess the quote you go for 1200 was about right...

If anyone out there is looking for decent digs in Edmonton feel free to e-mail me at: eab2@ualberta.ca and I can pass on that condo info to you... $1150 is normal for Sask drive, and it's a two bed room, two bath with a kitchen, classy restaurant on the base of the building, as well as a martini bar and a small conveinience store... so if you have a room-mate, it might be worth the price!

Anyways, back to you s-v... HUB is definately a cool place to live... I mean, you're living in a mall! And your shutters open right into the mall!! When I was in highschool I thought living in HUB would be the ultimate... but in the end, I'm still living at home with the 'rents... If you get off that waitlist, I hope you don't end up with an apartment over some of the restaurants... Edo Japan is nice to eat, but I wouldn't want to smell that cooking oil all day :) A nice feature of HUB is that it's directly connected to the Rutherford Library, meaning if things get noisy around exam time at your apartment you can head to the library to study without even having to go outside...

Anyway, I wouldn't mind keeping my eyes peeled for apartments... it really isn't a big deal... Sometimes vacancies pop up suddenly (and get filled quickly), and get posted on the lawns of apartments... I'm usually around the whyte ave apartments 2 or 3 times a week visiting friends, so if I see anything at all come up I can post it on this site for you...

Hhhhm... that description does sound like the girl I met... must have been her!

See ya,

EB

Guest summervirus

Thanks, EB, you've been very helpful. :D

And, rjs, if you ever get around to arranging something, please tell me! Thanky danky. :D

Guest shkelo

EB, my girlfriend is currently looking for a 1-bedroom apartment in the university area. Know of any leads? There is a two-bedroom available in her building right now (108th St. and 87th Ave., I believe). Really nice suites for about $800-850/mo (they only post a telephone number outside the apartment). I won't be surprised if it's gone by the end of the day. She's going out today to hit the streets. We are not confident that we'll find a place.

Meeting up sounds pretty good. There's a Second Cup/Great Canadian Bagel place across the street from the U of A hospital. It would make a perfect meeting place. I also know a few others in next year's class that could join us.

Guest shkelo

Yes, several times in fact. It's a good resource, but also a popular one as well. One woman she talked to said she had 30 messages on her answering machine in one day!! Most places in the university area do not need to advertise. A lot of apartment/housing complexes just post a sign and a telephone number outside on the lawn. We think we only have a 2-3 day window of opportunity to find a suitable place or it's game over. Notices with the intent to move were due yesterday. We'll see if there is anything good out there this afternoon.

hey,

shkelo i don't know of any one bedrooms for rent right now... but if i do hear/see anything, i'll let you know for sure...

summervirus - i don't know if you're interested in having a room-mate, but i saw an ad today posted in CAB for an apartment (shared) downtown, close to the LRT line... sounds like a decent place (raquet ball facilities, and whatnot) for $430 a month. The phone # is (403) 717 - 3865 and the room will be available in August. I think the contact name on the poster was Mike.

anyway, like everyone in the rest of this thread, i wouldn't mind meeting before orientation... that way i dont have to feel like a complete loner on the first day... i'm on campus all summer, so whenever is best for everyone else should be good for me too...

EB

Guest summervirus

EB,

Nah, I'm living close to the hospital. From what I've been told, it's close the Garneau Towers and Windsor Park Plaza... something like that. I don't know anything about Edmonton. :D Anyway, hehe, I don't drink so Whyte Ave is not too attractive to me. :)

Guest shkelo

We got lucky too. It must be a new record or something - 2nd place we looked at and it was perfect. It was only 2 blocks away from where she was living now. In fact, she gave notice for her place last night and it was gone this morning. Apartment shopping in the university area is scary right now. s-v, I'm glad you've found a place. I lived in Garneau Towers for a while. You're only one or two blocks away from U of A hospital!! It will be 5 minutes from the bed to class (8 am classes can be pretty rough sometimes). ;)

Guest summervirus

Yay! Hehe! I'm happy for you, Shkelo! :) I know what you mean about 8 AM classes. After my first year of undergrad, I avoided 8 AM labs like the plague. :D (It's funny how this thread now has the "EZ" icon next to it because it's a "hot topic," but we're really talking about housing, not meeting before O-week). :lol

thats awesome you too... unlike you guys, i won't be lucky enough to live on the south side... after buying a new car (why did i decide to get such an expensive one????), tuition, etc i just won't have the cash to move out on my own... so i'll be stuck on the north side and taking the LRT everyday....

anyways, back to the original topic of this thread, should we all meet before orientation? i wonder if the original poster, rjs, will be able to organize it now... the boards aren't accepting posts from unregistered users anymore, and now no-one can register anyway...

Guest summervirus

EB, is parking really expensive near the hospital? :|

I'm still up for meeting, although I may not be able to make it because I'm moving so late. :\

s-v,

parking is pretty expensive... $8/day or a monthly rate... but between the cost of gas & a parking pass, it's totally cheaper for me to take the train (as much as I hate it)... plus, the time on the train allows me to read, which is something i can't do while driving...

anyways if we do meet up (i nominate shkelo to be the organizer!) i'm sure it won't be soon... when are you moving up?

EB

Guest shkelo

September 2nd might be a good day! It's a Monday and it would be right before the big orientation day on Sept. 3rd. We can meet over coffee at Second Cup. Time? I'm thinking around 1 pm (or at 4 pm). Any thoughts? More dets to come...

Guest shkelo

This is an open invitation to others reading this who will be starting Med school at U of A in September. The more, the merrier. I'll start a new thread for RSVPs.

Archived