Premed 101 Forums

2nd Round Interviews are out!

Guest Bighead

You're absolutely right Bighead...

Got my letter this morning...my interview is scheduled for May 12th!!!:D

Time to start reading the paper again :rolleyes

Guest me maniac

but I was hoping you were in the 4(+) year OOP group like me! :\

Congratulations on the invite! If I remember correctly, you interviewed at u of c and somewhere in Ontario, right? If you had a choice, which would you choose?

me

me maniac,

Don't lose hope yet...there's still plenty of time till may 12th!!! I didn't know that U of A conducted interviews for 4+ students in may as well...I was under the impression that it was reserved for the 2nd/3rd year students. I'll keep my fingers crossed for u ;)

Other than U of A I've interviewed at U of C, U of T and UBC. It's so hard to narrow down my choices...I know U of T is definitely not a good fit for me (that's not to say that I wouldn't go there if I wasn't accepted anywhere else). I'd have to say that I prefer the western schools just because they're closer to home (vancouver)!

U of C was AMAZING...loved the campus/students/facilities but I'm a bit hesitant simply because it's a 3 yr program. Considering that I'm only a 3rd yr applicant, I'd prefer the traditional 4 yr program I think.

UBC's a great school but I think it's time for a change of location so I guess that leaves U of A as my top choice (wow...this is the first time that I've actually thought about it this way...you gotta love this forum man! :eek )

At the end of the day though, I guess you just keep your fingers crossed that you get accepted SOMEWHERE...just as long as I'm not moving to the Carribean to learn medicine in a back-alley make-shift med school with ex-convicts for profs and kitchen utensils as instruments..I'll be absolutely fine!...:b

Guest PARTY cal

Hey me maniac,

I am also a 4+ applicant and really hoping they will still conduct more interviews for applicants like us, but from what i have heard that is not likely.>:

ssup, congrats on the interview.

Guest Pucca81

Could someone please explain what this "second round of interview" is all about? I have not heard anything back from U of A and have been quite frustrated by this. I am assuming that it's not a good thing that I haven't anything back yet. Have rejection letters gone out? or have only acceptance and interview letters gone out? :rolleyes

This is my understanding of the admissions process (it changed a little this year). The first round of interviews (200 people) were held in Feb. and were only for people with a degree or who will complete their degree in April. There are 100 positions at U of A for this pool. 64 of those people were offered admission in March. I think the rest of the interviewees will be reevaluated after this year's marks are in, so how they do this semester may be a make-it or break-it situation. The second round of interviews (someone correct me if this isn't the case) are for 2/3 year applicants only. There are 25 positions for these students who are being interviewed in May. As for as I know, fourth year+ interviews are all done, but U of A takes a really long time to send out their refusal letters. Hope this helps.

Fox,

That is exactly my understanding of the situation, but I wonder what this "reevaluation" means for me, my GPA is quite high already, and so I wonder if in my case they would really be waiting to see if my GPA would take a plunge, just doesnt really make sense. So I'm wondering if something went really wrong.:rolleyes

ok, this is how it works. for each component of the application you get a certain number of points. so for gpa (pre-req) it is worth 25% of your overall ranking.... that equates to (for example, i really don't know) say a total of 1000 points for a perfect gpa (last year i saw the points total and people at the top had around 2500, so that's why i am making this number up). so, if your gpa was 8.5, you would get a certain number of points for that part of the application (less than 1000). same for mcat and overall gpa (which are worth a certain number of points (say maybe 500 and 350, respectively), but less than pre-req gpa). your ref letters, essay and interview are scored the same way. last year they were scored out of 5, so if you get 3.5/5 on your interview that is worth a certain number of points (interview counts for as much as the pre-req gpa, so a perfect interview would get 1000 points, 3.5/5 would be, say, 750). anyway, when the ad com meets each applicant has their point total and is ranked accordingly. the first 64 people (those with the 64 hihgest point totals) on the list were offered admission (basically as far as i know the ad com is there just to make sure the candidate is qualified and there is nothing shady about the application). so, having said all that, the second time the ad com meets this summer, everyone in the four year pool still waiting will have their scores adjusted for pre-reqs and overall gpa based on the marks including this year. so, unless you do REALLY well or REALLY poorly, your position in that list won't change that much. but, for someone who was near the bottom of the final 100 who will be offered admission, may move up a few with a really good semester. does this all make sense? besides the essay, ref letters, and interview, there isn't really much subjectivity concerning the u of a admissions process. once your points are totalled you're either in or you're not (so i've been told). so you can kind of see how a really good interview and letter may boost you up a lot of spots in the ranking since the variation in GPA between candidates won't be that much. it also shows why/how one or two points can separate successful and unsuccessful applicants. i hope this is clear and if i am wrong in any way, feel free to correct me. this is what i was told last year by marlene.

Guest medwannabe123

HA,

Are you in an honours program?

Although your GPA may not change significantly based on the semester you are currently finishing, an addition of 3pts to your file WILL change your ranking significantly.

(As of my last discussion with Andrea at the end of March, these points had not been added for round 1 acceptances)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Guest me maniac

PARTYcal,

like you, I am not expecting an interview in the 2nd round at U of A becuase I am 4+ year. I was just wishfull thinking :rollin !

ssup,

I live in BC and I applied and interviewed at UBC and U of C. I also applied at u of a, but like I said, I'm not holding my breath for an interview. I was rejected by Mac, no interview (big surprise!:eek ) and by Ottawa because I did not have three years of 5.0 courses each year >: (this is because I am an "older" app with two kids who worked almost full time during undergrad.) Taking only 4 courses per semester, it took me just over 5 years to complete my BSc, but I had to work hard to get it. I even had a kid during second year! If Ottawa does not appreciate that, then I think it's not the kind of school I want to go to anyways.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!:b

I read somewhere that you interviewed at u of c on March 16th, right? There were a couple of guys from BC there when I was there. I wonder if I saw you there that morning? I was the one in the navy pantsuit and I had very short dark hair. On the other hand, I may not have seen you as my interview was at 1000 and most everybody had dispersed by the time I got out...

me

me maniac,

WOW...having kids while completing your undergrad and working full-time, there should be an award given out for that!!!;) I've heard of time-management and multi-taking but you definitely take the cake...

As an older student, you probably stand a really good chance at both UBC and U of C. From what I hear, they tend to prefer older students (especially U of C's 3 year program I hear attracts a lot of more mature students). Hope it works out for you ;)

Actually, I interviewed at U of C on March 23rd so we probably didn't run into each other. If things go well, I might see you at the U of A interview...Good luck!:D

Ssup

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mandm

hey! me_manic:

Congrats on your interviews- good luck down the home stretch.

Quick question: you mentioned you took 4 courses (vs. 5) per term for your BSc-- why is it that ALL the universities you applied to didn't have the same reservations as UO?

I only ask b/c I also have less than 5 courses per term and I have been repeatedly told that I am going to need to retake stuff w.a courseload of 30 CR or 5 courses per term for 1 year!??!

Guest me maniac

hey, mandm

I didn't apply to all of the Ontario universities, so I can't recall off the top of my head which ones there had the full-time requirment. U of O had a 3yr-30-credit-each-year requirement (I found out after I applied 'cause it was kinda fuzzy on their webpage/application). McMaster didn't care. I didn't apply to Sask and Manitoba because of the same full time requirement. UBC, U of A and U of C did not have that requirement. Those were the other schools I applied to. I got interviews at both UBC (2nd time interviewing) and U of C (first time applying).

My recommendation to you is to check out each school that you are interested in to verify the requirements specific to that school. Not all schools are looking for the same candidates, so each school will have their own criteria for who gets an interview and who doesn't. Frankly, I was surprised that I got an interview at U of C (seeing as they only interviewed 80 out of 800 apps, that's the top ten percent!), but it just goes to show that, at some schools at least, it's whats in your application that proves you are capable of Med School (ie good gpa, ec's, outside interests other than school, ability to have a balanced life, mature/realistic appraisal of your limitations/goals, etc) rather than the fact that you took 5 courses instead of 4. I personally know lots of people who took 5 courses, but couldn't think their way out of a wet paper bag! :rolleyes Taking 5 courses, in my ever so humble opinion, is not the all and be all of school. Having a life is. Granted, if I were living at mom & dad's or didn't work, I may not have a good enough reason not to take 5 courses and do well, but seeing as how I had two kids under 6, ran a business, worked at another job 20-30 hours per week, had a mortgage, etc, etc, all while taking a mere 4 courses, I think I had good enough reason.

Having said that, I also admire those people that can have a life and take 5 courses and still do well in school. I just knew what my physical limitations were. Given the choice, I'd do the same thing again, even though it did limit my chances of applying to some schools. As I've already said in a previous post, if some schools are looking for the 22-27 year old who took 5 courses rather than having to raise kids and pay the mortgage, that school is definitely not the one for me.:b

Good luck on your apps and definitely check out all the schools for their own specific requirements.

me

Guest summervirus

I just found out today that some of the people that were offered 2nd round interviews are not 2nd/3rd year applicants. I know someone that got an interview and she's in her 5th year of undergrad. (She finished her first degree last year). She got a phone call. Just thought I'd let you all know. :)

Guest me maniac

summervirus,

did your friend get the phone call recently or a while ago?

Just curious as to whether they are finished phoning or not ;)

me

Guest summervirus

Sorry, I have no idea.

The last time I saw her, which was like 2 weeks ago, she hadn't received the phone call yet. But, when I was eating dinner tonight, I ran into another friend that told me of her good news... so I assume she got the phone call maybe a week or two ago?? |I That's my guess. If I find out anything new, I'll post the news here. :)

Archived