Premed 101 Forums

course load and English?

Guest choti

Guest choti

Hi everyone,

I have actually been on this board for a long time, but this is one of the first times I have actually posted! I have a couple of questions for the upcoming admissions cycle for U of A meds.

I switched programs during my undergrad, and while next year will be my 5th year at uni, it will be my 4th year in my new program. I can fill me degree requirements with 4 full courses next year (not a full courseload of 5 courses), but will this hurt my chances at admissions? I should mention that I am an OOP applicant.

Also, about the English requirement...is there a preference for the 'type' of English you take? I have a full year credit in Pop Culture, but I think some schools prefer an English literature course...what do you think?

thanks!

Guest thesaug

Hi there choti,

About the english pre-req, send the course outline to the admissions office (Marlene Heatley I believe) and they will verify whether or not the course will count. Thats what i ended up doing...saved me on taking a course too!

Good luck!

Hi there - I am an OOP (Ontario) applicant that was accepted at UofA with 2 VERY easy english courses (Pop culture and children's literature). Both had essay components, but were not exactly hard core English courses (ie-Harry Potter was required reading). I am sure that as long as you have a full year of University English you are perfectly fine!

Guest CHUBBY

Hi,

So I guess a one full year of children's literature will satisfy the requirements. Which school did you take these courses at? and did those courses satisfy the requirements for other OOP schools

Thanks

Chubby

I took the courses at McMaster. One was a second year course and the other a third year. I would think a full year of children's lit would be fine (as long as it has essays). I applied to 4 OOP schools and for any school that required English, it was perfectly fine. Hope this helps!

Guest flowers

Hi there choti!

When I asked the advisors regarding those WRITE courses counting towards engl pre-reqs like three years ago, they specifically told me they DON'T count. If you're looking for easy and interesting english courses, I suggest English 212 - this grammar course offered both semesters. It fills up insanely fast so if I were you, I'd register ASAP or put yourself on the waiting list at the English department (2nd floor humanities). Try it out for the first few classes and see what you think.

Good luck!

Guest flowers

I just noticed now that you're OOP! Sorry! I'm sure the level of difficulty is the same across universities in Canada for those 'introduction to the English language' courses. Anyway, just make sure you find out about those WRITE courses cause as far as I know, they don't count.

Archived