Premed 101 Forums

First aid?

Guest Apna

Nothing in the reg. package mentioned a first aid requirement... I was meaning to get my first aid this summer but now I'm running out of time... is it safe to assume that U of A is one the few schools that don't require it?

Guest pmcol

I think that there will be opportunities to take first aid during the year, but there is no rush to get it now (seeing as we really don't need it). This is just a guess, but I think that first aid is required before the clerkship years. Also, during the year I saw that there were CPR courses being given to the med students in Med Sci, so maybe the school teaches us everything we need to know.

Guest Koppertone

Keep in mind that the basic First Aid course only takes one weekend, so you still have ample time to do it during the summer as long as you get a spot booked. (how'd that angry face get in there?)

Guest summervirus

Wow, a lot of people here are really keen to learn first aid! :)

First-aid is offered as part of your curriculum and is paid for by the faculty in 3rd year. Some students like to take it early. In the past, the class has arranged for a first-aid training course as a group so that it's cheaper for the students that are interested in taking the course before third year.

Archived