Premed 101 Forums

registration package?

Guest MUC1

Hi,

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun, but anybody know anything about the registration packages for those accepted?

I probably won't be around for much of August and want to get the blood borne pathogen testing out of the way.

MUC1

Guest summervirus

Hallo,

I have no idea when the packages will be ready and sent out this year. But, I seem to recall that I received my package around the 2nd-3rd week of July two years ago. My friend also received his package around the same time last year. So, I guess if history means anything, you'll probably get something by mid-July.

SV

ps, If you don't hear back from them by July, let me know. I'll fish up my old package and tell you what shots/immunizations you'll need.

Guest chemgirl

Hi there,

I had called the office a couple of weeks ago and they told me they were sending out the packages at the end of June. I'd say they'll arrive fairly quickly if that is the case!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pmcol

Just got my package about a half hour ago. Registration was pretty simple. They basically provide you with a list of courses and numbers to enter into beartracks, you have no choices to make at all. Just make sure you get into the afternoon session of INT D 410....

Hi,

Yep. I got mine too. I'm in the afternoon INT D class (hurray!); the evening one runs quite late.

For the passport photos, do we hand in two to the admissions office and one with that pink application form for the "college of..."? Or does the two include the one for the pink form?

The descriptions of what we need to do aren't very detailed in the package.

Guest pmcol

I'm going to assume that we need 3 photos. 2 for the UGME office, and one for the College of Physicians and Surgeons. I agree with you about the lack of clear instructions, I could see it being a problem especially with someone who is not familiar with the beartracks system.

Guest Salkh

hey MUC1 and pmcol - do you guys live in Edmonton? I do but haven't got my package yet...I called the office and apparently all of them went out on Friday.

Guest Med2B

I got the package yesterday. I live in Edmonton but I know someone that lives on campus who hasn't received her's yet. So sit tight, it arrive soon enough.

P.S. It comes in a large white envelope if you're wondering.

Guest summervirus

Hi, yup I got confused over the same thing when I got my package too. I remember submitting three photos: two to the office and one to the College of Physicians and Surgeons.

By the way, something they didn't tell me was the fact that the photo that you submit to the office eventually gets released and made into a class composite with a phone directory of your class. Had I known, I would have given them a better photo... :o

I'll make sure I give them one of my better looking photos. :D

Again, due to the lack of clarity, can someone confirm that I am piecing together the info from multiple sheets properly?

For the medical examination, we bring in the clearance form to the UHC. But we do not fill it out.

We just bring proof of the immunization record and some personal info right and the MD there will fill it out.

thanks for clarifying.

Guest Lactic Folly

I phoned today and was told to bring (in addition to the above) my Alberta health care card, $40 for the medical exam, plus some as-of-yet undetermined sum for the lab fee. :P

I did fill out a bit of the demographic info already (just to guard against misspellings, which happen easily when people are in a rush and just glance at your info before copying it). Hope that won't be a problem.

humm.

40$ and other fees.

I was under the impression that this was covered. as there's no real mention of any fees -- except for the HIV testing.

Thanks for the heads up -- now I'll remember to bring cash.

Guest summervirus

Yeah, that was a surprise to me too when I first went. When I asked the receptionist what I was paying for, she explained that the university clinic @ SUB charges a one-time $40 fee for all new patients.

Guest pmcol

This is probably a rhetorical question, but can't I save myself $40 by having my family doctor do the examination and the lab work? My family doc works at the U of A's family medicine centre at the Royal Alex if that makes a difference.

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't think you can go to the family doctor for the examination -- must be the U/A clinic. They even specify that on the information sheet.

Guest brandonitejr

I received my registration package yesterday and I literally live in the middle of nowhere (rural Manitoba), so most OOP students should be getting them sometime soon.

In regards to having your family doctor do the physical, I asked that question to Marlene awhile back, and you must have it done at the clinic at UofA, although any immunizations can be done (or at least started) by your family doc.

As well, I just registered for the afternoon session of INT-D and there were only 15 spots available, so anyone that hates those dreaded night classes should hurry up and register.

Guest fluidity2

Does anybody have an idea about how we get our U of A email address and student card? Also, do we have to have our TB/mantoux test at the U of A Health Centre or can we have it done in our home towns?

~Fluidity2

Guest summervirus

The mantoux test must be done at the UofA Health Centre.

I remember getting a letter from the registrar sometime in August. At the top right corner was my username and password for the university computing network (for your email and stuff).

Archived