Premed 101 Forums

Wait-List Thread

Guest pjdavis

Guest pjdavis

As I appear to be the first to have gotten the dreaded wait-list letter I suppose I'll start off this thread. Anyway, I am an in-province 4+ year applicant. How many more of us are there? How many out there will be choosing other schools?

-pjdavis

Guest cosmeticgrl

Hi, all. I have firmly accepted the offer from U of T and called/emailed admissions at U of A on Friday to decline their offer. Someone is moving up the list!!!!

Guest bananacreampie

hey guys,

I have finally decided to stay in Calgary (not an easy choice), so I will be calling U of A tomorrow and letting them know that I will be giving up my spot. Hopefully someone off the waitlist hears the good news soon.

cheers, bcp

Guest pjdavis

Wow things really seem to be moving. Thanks bcp. I hope you enjoy Calgary, and yes it would be a tough descision between two great Alberta schools.

Cheers,

-pjdavis

Guest Salkh

Hi PJ,

I just got a letter saying I am also on the waitlist. Hope it moves fast and lets both of us in! Did they tell you where you were on the waitlist? It would be nice to know, but I hear UofA just makes you sweat it out.

Sally

Guest pjdavis

Congrats Sally,

I asked Andrea but she wouldn't tell me, where I was or how many people were on the list. Let's hope we're both high and have something to celebrate in the next couple of weeks.

-PJ

Guest pjdavis

Hey,

I'm not sure how the wait-list works at the U of A, but on this thread we have two in-province applicants who have declined their spot. So obviously the list will move somewhat. However, are they waiting till after the 18th of June to release acceptances to wait-listed applicants, or is it a rolling acceptance of the wait-list?

Guest frogcanada

Oooh banana congrats on your U of C acceptance... I'm still waiting on that U of C waitlist... so try to convince others to take the U of A acceptance over U of C :P

Guest pjdavis

:lol that was a good one frogcanada, but I hope you don't mind if I'm praying for the opposite. Good luck anyway.

-pjdavis

Guest Salkh

Anybody have any idea how much the 4+year in-province waitlist moves? I think my poor MCAT mark is the reason I was waitlisted, so I am registered to take it again in August but finding it VERY hard to study while waiting for that phone call. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would start studying. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. It was hard to get motivated to study, but I didn't get in. Also, you may not get an offer until after the MCAT is over, so I wouldn't wait too long.

Guest frogcanada

Thanks PJ - but it's OK now because I just came home to my phone message from U of C Admissions - I can finally breathe a bit easier!!

Good luck with U of A!

FC :)

Guest threeputt

just got my waitlist letter today. i am oop in bc. i will probably decline in favour of ubc, so good luck to all those still waiting! Ualberta is an amazing school and obviously has done a lot to attract top students and faculty. If Edmonton was as nice as Vancouver, I'd love to go there!

Guest ClimbOn

Has the admission office mailed out all the waitlist/rejection letters to OOP applicants? I'm from BC, and I haven't heard anything from UofA. Should I give them a call?

Guest Salkh

I don't know for sure, but I don't think rejection letters are sent out until after the whole process is over. Those given offers have until the 18th of June to accept or decline, so I'm assuming rejection letters go out after that. My waitlist letter arrived on Monday but I live in Edmonton, so it's possible that yours just hasn't arrived in BC yet. I'm not sure that Andrea can tell you much if you call, but it definitely wouldn't hurt. Hope this helps somewhat.

I just finally got a letter from U of A. I'm an OOP applicant, from Vancouver, and I was placed on the Alternate List (aka waitlist).

I spoke to Marlene, and she told me there is about 25 people put on the waitlist for OOP. This seems like a lot less than other schools. Do most people on the waitlist get in, or does almost everyone who gets the initial offer end up going to Edmonton or something?

Guest pjdavis

That's surprising that Marlene told you how many people were on the OOP wait-list as Andrea wouldn't tell me how many were on the in-province one. Anyway, in response to your question for OOP applicants there is a lot of hope. First off the U of A uses previous wait-list trends to establish current ones and only wait-lists people who have a realistic chance of getting in. That said, there are no guarantees and last years wait-list movement is only a reference and nothing else. However, to give you hope I know that two years ago they wait-listed 25 OOP students and all 25 were eventually offered a place. I also know that most people on both 4+ year wait-lists were offered places at the U of A last year as well, however I do not have a final number on this (does anyone?).

I think it's also important to realise that for 4+ year applicants there are only 15 spots for OOP applicants so that is another reason the wait-list is so small. Anyway, regardless of the number of places I think you have a fairly good shot at getting in based on previous trends. Good luck to us all.

-pjdavis

Hey guys

I was on the waitlist two years ago and I didn't get in off it. It didn't move that much that year, and it was definitely small. The reason they don't give info as to where you are on it and how many are on it is they think it makes it difficult to make decisions for those on the alternate list. If you found out you were number 3 on the waitlist, you might think for sure you'd get in, but maybe you wouldn't and you may make your plans based around your spot on the waitlist. It is difficult not to agonize over this, but I would recommend going about life normally and making plans as if you need to re-apply next year, then if you do get in, awesome, and if not, you are more prepared for next year.

I am also on the 4+ OOP "alternate list", much to my surprise... I bombed my interview, and was totally expecting a rejection since I hadn't heard anything yet... but the letter arrived here in Victoria today... this waitlist letter felt almost like an acceptance letter due to my low expectations!

I'm also quite happy with what I've read in this thread about the waitlist being small and likely to move reasonably... good luck to everyone else on the waitlist... maybe we'll be classmates next year :D

Guest Koppertone

I just found out I'm on the 4+ year waitlist. I want to see if I ever actually get in off of the list, but if I do I'll be declining b/c I already accepted at UManitoba and have started to move. It was nice that I wasn't outright rejected though after being given the boot on my home turf :P

Hi everyone,

I got my 4yr+ OOP waitlist letter last week from U of A. This morning, I got a call from Marlene with an offer of admission :-) However, I have accepted at UBC so I have declined U of A already. I just wanted to share, and to say that the OOP waitlist is one person lighter, and moving!!!!!

Zen

Guest brandonitejr

Yup, the waitlist is definitely moving, I got accepted off the waitlist on Friday. Since UofA was my #1 choice, I will see you all in the fall. :)

Oh, and from the way Marlene was talking, it seemed as though she had made a few calls on Friday. Good luck to those still waiting!

Archived