Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisites

Guest nby

I am now an employee at Dalhousie university and I was hoping I could get my credits in statistics and biochem by auditing classes. This would be much easier for me to do, but although I would get these credits on my transcript, I would not recieve a mark. Would this be acceptable for these prerequisites?

Guest pmcol

I seriously doubt it. The grades obtained in prerequisite courses are one of the major criteria that the admissions committe use to rate applicants. And if you are auditing the course only, there is no way to know if you are actually learning anything because there is no form of evaluation (not to suggest that you wouldn't take the courses seriously, but in the eyes of the admissions people it wouldn't be acceptable to just take your word for it)

Guest summervirus

It's possible to credit work experience in lieu of some prerequisite courses. A fellow in my class worked for several years before applying to medical school. He phoned the office and asked if he could use his work experience as a substitute for some prereq courses and he was given permission to. I can't remember the details anymore because it was two years ago but I think he told me that he was able to skip out of the English and Statistics prereqs.

I tried calling this year and sent syllibi (spelling?) from some chemistry classes that show all of statistics upto the second semester of second year and they would not grant me the bye.

Guess I'll have to take some classes this winter then.

thanks,

josh

Archived