Premed 101 Forums

scholarship applications?

Guest Phil667

Guest Phil667

Hey everyone. I have already accepted my spot for the Class of 2008. I was just wondering if, when, and how we apply for scholarships? I am travelling Europe right now, so I'm a bit isolated, but any info would be appreciated! :) Hopefully I havn't missed any deadlines.

Guest Lactic Folly

..do we even have scholarships that we can apply for from the UofA? The Faculty of Medicine has entrance scholarships, but it looks like they are by nomination only. There are bursaries too, but I think we'll get information about them later. Then there are non-med-specific UofA scholarships (e.g. leadership - October) and outside scholarships (e.g. RBC - due end of August). That's all I know, please feel free to add :)

I could be wrong about this and wasn't on the ball coming into first year, but I don't think there are any scholarships you apply for right away. There are, however:

1. Bursaries that you get depending on your financial need (between $500 and $4000 - these numbers are undecided). These bursaries are, I believe, a one time 'for sure' gift (they have them each year, but who gets them may change).

2. Scholarships to apply for at the end of first year. This doesn't happen for a while (due date in April, maybe?). There may be a few select scholarships also at the beginning of the year, but not many.

Basic message - you have nothing to worry about right now. Have an awesome rest of your summer!

Megs

Guest summervirus

Some students also get entrance scholarships from the Faculty of Medicine but you don't apply for them. The faculty awards them based on the records in their office.

Archived