Premed 101 Forums

Fulfilling Requirements

Guest Angelussum

Guest Angelussum

I was in IB and got credits for chemistry, so I didn't take it in first year. I'm interested in the U of A but am curious as to how I can fulfill the general chemistry requirement because I've taken organic chemstry and can't go back to take first year chemistry. Can I just take a second year chem course such as inorganic chemistry to fulfill the requirement?

As well, I am curious to know if the courses that I take to fulfill the requirements have to be labeled 'statistics' or 'biology'. For example, I am taking a microbiology course but it's not specifically labelled as a 'biology' course. Does that matter?

P.S. Thanks to anyone who might know about this. I just didn't know who to ask because I've sent numerous emails without getting a reply...

Guest coastal79

I took fulfilled the stats requirement by distance ed through Athabasca. Can't remember the course number, but it was pretty clear from reading the descriptions which was the right one.

Guest Lactic Folly

Higher level inorganic chem courses should fulfill the general chem requirement (in general, higher level courses in the same subject area will work for all the prereqs). Microbiology should count as biology as well. If you're having trouble getting a hold of admissions, try phoning the undergraduate medical office and ask to be put through to admissions.

Guest 0nsp

Hey Ang,

I'm curious as to how you got advanced standing in chemistry. I presume you took higher level chemistry in IB? In any case, to fulfill the requirement you just need to take a higher level course in the subject. Although, it might be easier to waive the IB credit and take chem 101/102 for easy A's, especially since some of the higher chem courses are kinda hard (like analytical). Furthermore, your IB credit does count, partly, to the pre-requisite. Straight from the website:

"General Chemistry (Inorganic Chemistry) (Analytical, Physical or Quantitative). IB Chemistry (Higher) will meet one half the General Chemistry (Inorganic Chemistry) requirement. "

Also, microbiology i'm pretty sure counts as a biology course, as do a lot of other biology type courses. The best way to be sure is to go to the Admissions office (room 2-45 Med sci) and ask them, because they have a huge binder that lists every single course at the UofA that qualifies for the Pre requisite courses. I had the same question because i wanted to take PHBE which isnt specifically labelled a "physics" course, but still counts.

Hope this helps.

Guest apical meristems

Hi there.

This is straight from their website.

Biology (Microbiology, Zoology, Genetics, Botany Physiology, Bacteriology, Immunology, Entomology) IB Biology (Higher) will meet one half of the Biology requirement.

I am applying to dent, which employs the same application procedures as medicine, and my microbiology course was counted as a biology credit. For your chemistry problem (general chem), I highly recommend taking CHEM 331/332 (Introductory Inorganic Chemistry). These classes are great. I'm pretty sure Dr. Veinot will be teaching 332, and he is absolutely amazing.

Good luck,

apical

Guest summervirus

I don't know too much about the details. But, I can tell you what I did and what my friend did. Both of us were in full IB and had HL chemistry.

I chose not to take the credit for chemistry and took first year chemistry in university to satisfy the prereq.

My friend, on the other hand, chose to take her credits from IB. However, she later told me that the UofA told her that the IB credit would only satisfy half of the chemistry prereq. So, she ended up taking a 2nd year chemistry course to fulfill the other half. I think she took something like inorganic chem.

Archived