Premed 101 Forums

Question about Orientation

Guest apical meristems

Guest apical meristems

Hi there,

I was fortunate enough to land a term position with the Orientation Office this year at the U of A. Basically, I am responsible for all of the programming presented to new students over the course of two days.

My question is, especially for U of A students, now that you're heading into your second degree, what do feel is imperative to know at the start of your academic career? We are revamping the presentations this year and I am looking for things that are unique. Many first year students tend to shrug Orientation off as a waste of time, but I am trying my best to make it useful and memorable. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

apical

Guest 0nsp

Hey Apical,

You wouldn't happened to have played a certain Lion in a certain presentation at Orientation last year, would you? Just wondering cuz I'm with orientation too, and probably saw you in the office, today in fact, when I was down there. In any case, I'm sure I've given all my brilliant suggestoins, and I know where to go if I have any more.

Guest apical meristems

Hmmmm....

I have no idea who this is. Will you be presenting this year?

apical

*I sent you a PM

Guest Lactic Folly

There was a longish thread on the SU Webboard about Orientation a little while back.. if you can look past the critical comments, there are also a good number of constructive suggestions.

I suppose the most important things for me were to become aware of the many valuable University and SU services out there, as well as pertinent academic procedures and regulations.

Additional tidbits:

- If there's a 20 min. lineup at the Knowledge Common during lunch hour, it's worth taking a short jaunt over to the Dent/Pharm or Physics computer labs (Physics isn't on the CNS list of labs, and it's sparsely booked too).

- The Education library carries not only curriculum materials, but college study guides and calendars from other universities.

- The Interlibrary loans office can obtain for you any article the U of A doesn't carry - and you don't even have to pay for the photocopying! The NEOS consortium is also a great resource for research and reading pleasure :)

- I also heard that if you pay by OneCard, you can go to an alternate desk and bypass the lineups at the bookstore.. though I have yet to confirm this.

Guest 0nsp

Hey, that's some good stuff Lactic. I've been around 3 years and didn't know about half of that!

And that bit about the OneCard is true: If you go to the OneCard office and laod it up with cash, yo ucan by pass those hour long lineups in the bookstore by paying at Customer Service upstairs (that's what I did this year).

Guest apical meristems

Just general. We're expecting over 4000 high school and around 1500 transfer students this year. It's mind boggling to hear what the admission averages from high school have reached. I heard engineering is employing an 86% cutoff :eek .

apical

Archived