Premed 101 Forums

Anything important I should know about???

Guest Misty

Hey guys,

So I still have not recieved my registration package. :eek I was just wondering what all I need to do before school starts... I know I have to register online when I get the package, get checked out at the University clinic...etc. Do we need a current Standard First Aid/CPR certificate? What all is in the package? When is tuition due? So orientation starts Sept. 2nd and classes Sept. 8th.... What is the last day of classes for first year? (I think I need to know this, applying for a student loan). Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Misty

Guest DixielandDelight

Hi Misty,

UofA doesn't require first aid/CPR, although as a personal note, I would recommend everyone getting it, but that's just the lifeguard in me talking :)

The package pretty much just contains registration info, memos about all the things we have to do (i.e. immunization, etc.) Orientation week schedules (which I also got in an email from Andrea). One thing you might want to do now is get 2 colour passport photos (I have not idea why???!!!).

I don't remember seeing any info about when to pay tuition by, it just shows how much we will be paying. :(

I think May 10th is the last day for first years. I found this on the UofA calendar, under the list of dates and deadlines I think...

Hope this helps, and see you soon!!!!

Dixie

Hey Misty

I would call Andrea and ask about when you will receive the package.... You have to get your immunizations and stuff up to date before Sept 12, and this includes 2 TB tests, which need to be 7-21 days apart.

I just got my bill and tuition is due on Sept 30, so you don't need to worry about that. As for the passport photos, I think you need two colour and two black and white, because one set needs to be sent to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta (or somewhere like that), so if you do get your pictures, you might as well get both so you don't have to go back again.

Guest snoopychan

Hi Misty,

Sorry about some duplication from Fox, his post beat me by 2 minutes as I was typing it, so i edited my message slightly. A quick Fox as we may say.

To add on to what DixielandDelight and Fox said, you will need ONLY ONE other photo for your application of membership to the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta (form included in package). The checklist of things to do states that this picture is to be black/white. However, the application form just states a photo so I sent in a colour photo, which was all I had along with a $5 cheque. This you mail driectly to CPSA.

As for Tuition payment, I recieved in the mail a Class Timetable Notice which also outlines tuition and fees as well. Term 1 fee payment is due Sept 30, 2003. Term 2 payment is due Jan 30, 2004. You may pay for both terms at once as there is a $40 installment fee if you pay by term.

Hope this helps.

Kris

Guest shkelo

You are also require to pay a $150 deposit by August 15th to confirm your registration. This can be done online through the registrar's office. Note that you must first register your classes through the BearTracks online system.

Go to:

www.registrar.ualberta.ca/ro.cfm?id=0

and

/gandalf.registrar.ualber...thenticate

(Nice web reference to the Lord of the Rings, eh?!?! Computer guys are such geeks. :lol )

I think the $175 deposit we paid to hold our place in the class counts as the confirmation deposit you're talking about, Shelko. If not, someone let me know....

Thanks for all your help!!! I hope I get the package soon... seems everyone is on holidays now so that might be slowing things down. Do the immunizations etc. all have to be done at the U of A clinic? I wasn't planning to be in Edmonton until the 29th or so but maybe I'll have to make a trip down there.

Thanks again,

Misty

Guest snoopychan

Misty: All your medical examination and immunizations are to be done at the UNIVERSITY HEALTH CENTRE. You will recieve a FACULTY MEDICAL CLEARANCE FORM with your registration package, which you bring to the UHC to the best of my understanding.

FOX: the $175 we sent in with our confirmation coincides directly with the $175 BearTracks confirmation deposit. I don't think we have to send any more money in, our deposit is probably somewhere in the financial office bloodstream right now.

Guest shkelo

You're right. I forgot there was a confirmation deposit for first year once you accept U of A's offer of admission. Apparently, we just received an e-mail asking for us to pay $175 (not $150) before August 15th. It applies to all years other than next year's incoming class. Sorry for the confusion.

Guest summervirus

Btw, the passport photos that you need to submit will be used for your class composite. (I wish I had known that beforehand... I would have submitted a nicer photo). ;)

Archived