Premed 101 Forums

April acceptances?

Guest A

Guest Carse

I know a friend who got invited for an interview this past week, so they're still sending out letters. U of A does three rounds of interviews. In February they do a small number of interviews with the people at the "top" of the class with regards to academics. Then, in May they do another set of interviews with "the rest of us". To make things even more confusing, they do another round of interviews in June/ July!

I think that some do find out in April if they got in, selected from those interviewed in the first round. Then, it's the waiting game. Last year a couple people in my program found out they were admitted in August, only a few weeks before classes started.

The moral of the story... don't lose faith unless you get that official "rejection letter". If you haven't got it yet (and I here that some people already have) then you still have a chance.

Good Luck!

Guest casper

I got my interview letter in the beginning of april. I am a 3rd year student in UBC. I know that they interview 4th year out of province applicants in feb. However, they leave all 2/3 year applicants to be interviewed in may/june/july, once they have selected a fair number from 4th year pool.

BTW, does anyone know how much is the interview worth in the admissions process? and how is U of A medicine?

Guest Carse

As well, the interviews done in May/ June/ July does include 4th year and graduated students, because the person I know who recently received their letter is in 4th year.

Guest casper

for oop, all 4rth years have been interviewed except those who were not able to attend the invite in feb due to interviews in other schools...so, the 4rth years you are referring to must be in province applicants.

is the alberta interview harsh? pleasant? how many 3 year students are interviewed? how many are selected?

Guest Carse

Yes, the 4th year I know is in-province.

I have heard from many people that Edmonton is a relatively tough interview, with quite a few questions of the "ethics" variety.

I'm not sure how many 3 year student are interviewed but they say that 24 students are selcted from the 2/3 year pool. I think that this is quite a bit more than most schools accept.

Guest Gomer

Hello all,

Just thought I'd let everyone interested in U of A know that I have recieved an offer of admission by telephone call on April 25. They phoned me at around 9:30 E.S.T., and told me that they had just completed their admissions commitee a couple of hours earlier. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear, or who have interviews coming.

Sincerely,

Gomer

Gomer,

Congrats on the early acceptance. From what I know about the U of A's admission process, they only offer early acceptance to those individuals that they feel are extremely well suited to medicine ( ...these are the people they don't want to lose to other schools). I've been following the "Strange Stuff" discussion both on this board and the other, so I think this shows that the U of T process is quite flawed.

You seemed very disappointed about not getting into U of T, so I'm assuming U of A wasn't your "first choice." But take it from someone who lives in Edmonton, attends U of A, and has the ultimate goal of getting into the MD/Ph.D. programme here, you'll absolutely love the city, campus and students (we're extremely friendly)... I know I do, and those are some of the reasons that I can't imagine going to Med school anywhere else but here.

Once again, congrats!!

Erin

Guest Ian Wong

Hey Gomer (you're not supposed to say that until you're old and jaded...)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It isn't U of T like you hoped, but I think this validates your feelings a little bit. There is at least one medical school in Canada (and a good one at that), that thinks highly enough of you to want to train you for the next four years (as an OOP student no less). One thing I've noticed ever since getting in myself nearly two years ago, is that admissions really is a crapshoot. There's never a guarantee that you have the profile that a particular medical school is looking for, end even in the situation that you do, there isn't a guarantee that human error won't still lead to a rejection letter.

However, you now know that if you want it, that you will be a doctor in May 2005. Again, congrats!

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest Gomer

Hi all,

Thanks for the support. My acceptance to U of A as an out-of-province applicant has left me, at the same time, surprised, flattered and honoured. I have heard that U of A is a strong med-school, and I love everything about it. Best of luck to those of you still waiting anxiously for an interview or acceptance.

Sincerely,

Gomer

• 2 weeks later...

Archived