Premed 101 Forums

Recommended stethoscope?

Guest leviathan

Guest leviathan

Hey all,

I have a friend of mine starting medical school in the fall, and a bunch of us are looking to buy her a stethoscope as a parting gift. So far, we've managed to muster up about $150. Which stethoscope would you recommend for medical school, and would $150 cover it? I think the Littmann Classic SE would be a good choice, but it seems like everyone buys the Littmann Cardiology III which is a bit out of our price range. Any suggestions?

Guest MacMED2008

There's not much to choose from between either scope, even for my (slightly) older ears. That said, the Cardiology III feels a lot more substantial than the SE and usually comes with a great CD with heart sounds. If you're patient, you may want to pick one up off eBay over the summer. That's how a couple of my friends got their scopes.

-MacMED2008

Guest blinknoodle

The Cardiology III should be priced around $150 for medical students if ordering from Shopper Home HealthCare.

I previously found this site, and while I cannot guarantee its legitimacy, it sells medical equipment at nearly the same price at Shoppers, with a $5 increase in price, but you get free shipping. /www.canadianmedstudents....ethoscopes

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Earlier this year, my stethoscope took a bit of a holiday and buggered off for a while, so I thought it was gone for good. On a tip, I had a look on eBay for a replacement and managed to pick up the same stethoscope--brand new--for less than half the original price that was paid for my original Littman. I just had a look on eBay for the Littman Cardiology III and there are quite a few of them currently for sale for less than $150US. Many of these sellers sell new scopes, in the box, with all the accoutrements. That's how my (now) spare scope arrived, it was shipped quickly and I'm very pleased with it.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest leviathan

Thanks for all of the help, everyone! Unfortunately I need this by Tuesday, so eBay is out of the question. I'm trying to find a place in the Vancouver area that sells the Cardiology III for $150-180.

Archived