Premed 101 Forums

stethoscopes

Guest Stef Y

Doing some research on stethoscopes - what kind to get etc...what do most of yous have/use - WELCH ALLYN ELITE CARDIOLOGY, Litmann Cardiology III, Litmann Classic, Littmann Cardio II, Tycos Harvey Elite...

Guest quebecboy

I also have the cardio 3, and it's really an excellent stethoscope. I spoke to a few residents before buying mine, and everybody recommended that one (not to mention that almost every single MD working at the hospital owns one like this).

Also, be sure you get one with the bell on the end. You will need it to auscultate S3, S4, atherosclerotic murmurs and such.... One last thing: if you were thinking of buying an electronic model, unless you're hard of hearing, there is absolutely nothing you can hear in an electronic model that you can't hear in the traditional one(something to think about before shelling out hundreds of $$$).

Quebecboy

Guest adduction

I too am going to have to vouch for the Cardiology III (Littmann). This is what 99% of the my class (1st yr) bought. I say 99% because the odd person wanted to go all out and by the Master Cardiology...

My untrained ears have yet to determine a sound difference between the two (i'm sure there is one), though for all intents and purposes, I don't think you need something above the quality of a cardiology III...

My two cents.

Guest kosmo14

I currently have the master cardiology. I am not too sure why I got it, maybe to be different. I can say that despite what the reps tell you there is no difference between the Cardio III and the master. In fact I still say I can hear better with the Cardio III than my master.

Guest cutieyellow

I have the cardio III but a lot of my bosses mentioned how the Master was a lot better and worth the extra 25 bucks that it was. However, the Master requires a lot more experience, you're going to have to learn how much pressure to put on it in order for it to be a bell or a diaphragm... Also, the cardio III can serve as a pediatrics one, whereas the master (they say use the tip), i'm not sure it's as efficient.

Guest Steve MD09

The sales rep who came to UWO this year said that the only reason a med student might need the Master is if they had difficulties hearing with the Cardio III. A lot of my classmates seemed to be interested in the Littman STC when 3M did their presentation on their different models, although I think the vast majority ended up going with the Cardio III.

Guest Elaine I

Steve,

What is the difference between the Littman STC and the Master Cardiology? I had never heard of the STC before you mentioned it hear. Other than shape, I couldn't see a lot of difference when I visited the Littman website.

Thanks for the information,

Elaine

Guest Steve MD09

When the 3M reps were giving a presentation on the different types of stethoscopes they sell, I walked in just as they were wrapping up the discussion of the STC, so I didn't get too many details. As you've probably noticed on the website, the Master Cardiology is rated a 10 on their scale, while the STC is a 9, although some people that tried the two stethoscopes thought they could hear better with the STC. Sorry I can't provide any useful information, hopefully you can speak to a representative of 3M Littman by the time you need a new scope.

Archived