Premed 101 Forums

Which Neuro Book to Choose?

Guest Axolotl

Guest Axolotl

Hey guys,

I'm going to do some clinical neuroanatomy reading during the xmas break. There are a lot of neuro books out there...some good ones and some brutal ones...

What would you suggest that I pick up as a first year med student?

Guest rookiemeds

"Essentials of Clinical Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology" by Gilman and Neuman is by far the best I found. It's concise but well organized. Not crazy detailed but plenty of info to get me through neuro.

Guest quebecboy

Hi,

Neuroanatomy through clinical cases by Blumenfeld is very good. On top of learning neuroanatomy, you learn all about CT scans, MRI, etc.., when to use 'em and when not to. Plus, it's always more interesting to learn something when you know what it's for (plenty of cases, examples, physical exam, etc...). Also, neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple (as stated before) is very good (many mnemotechnics).

Quebecboy

Guest medicator007

I loathe neuroanatomy so I won't put forth any sources, since I don't know any of them.

As for pharmacology though... If you like that style of book, Lipincott's Illustrated Reviews "Pharmacology" by Mycek, Harvery and Champe is pretty good. I have the 2nd edition, ISBN0-7818-2413-9 and have loved it for both my general pharmacological reading and USMLE Step 1 Review.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Archived