Premed 101 Forums

Emerg Rotation Recommendations

Guest BCgirl

Tarascon's - as always

Maybe a pocket internal medicine book (optional)

Make sure you review a how to do a screening neuro exam if it has been awhile since you did one... know what to do with 'back pain' and how to work that up.

Bring your own reflex hammer and stick some paper clips and other stuff to do a neuro exam with in your pocket. It can be very difficult to locate this stuff in a busy emerg.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there aneliz,

Ta for that advice. I just happened to stumble upon this thread and gladly so. For fun, I'll be tackling a 2-week emerg elective this December, and didn't consider toting along my wee Tarascon's. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Sandford should be on hand at all times... until you are comfortable with the suggested antibiotic regimens for the stuff you routinely see in the ER walk-in: CAP, UTI, Cellulitis...etc...

Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, always have a few pairs of gloves on hand, something to eat in case u cannot escape the ER, and other misc. medical stuff as ur preferences may dictate.

Review the Ottawa ankle/knee/ every other body part rules as you are often pimped on why you would or would not X-ray a particular patient. Similarly, clinical predictor rules are personal favorites of many ER docs.... strep scores, CAP predictors...etc.

I also will suggest you check out the Rational Clinical Exam series, as these are some really well written articles on common diagnostic conundra in the ER.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Medicator

Archived