Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesiology Rotation: Recommended Books

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Here's just some recommendations for both textbooks and ward books based on my experiences in this rotation. I don't claim to know what's best, but this is what I used for this rotation.

Recommended books for Anesthesiology:

In your white coat pocket:

1) Tarascon Pharmacopeia

2) Maxwell's Quick Medical Reference

3) Sanford's Guide to Anti-Microbial Therapy

4) Anaesthesia for Medical Students

At home so you can read up before you go golfing/sleeping.

5) Anaesthesia for Medical Students

Tarascon, Maxwell's, and Sanford's should be de facto members of your white coat until you graduate med school, and probably still after that.

Anaesthesia for Medical Students is a coil-bound paperback pocket book produced by the U of Ottawa. It's got a gray/silver cover front and back. I sold mine already and can't find its ISBN online. It was apparently published in 1995 by Pat Sullivan. It's a good book that you can hopefully find in the library so that you don't have to purchase it for this short rotation.

The major goals you should get out of include:

1) Procedural skills. You should feel comfortable trying for peripheral IV's after this. Try your hand out at as many intubations as you can (this is a huge skill to master if you are at all considering Anesthesiology or Emerg as a career). If they'll let you go after central lines, such as femorals, or most likely subclavians or internal jugulars, go for those as well. Anesthesiologists are the masters of the airway and intravenous access.

2) Review of your cardiovascular and respiratory physiology. You will get this in spades since that's such a large component of this specialty.

3) Preoperative assessment of patients in the clinic. This is a very useful skill to get experience in for many different physicians, including future surgeons, and also primary care docs. Learn how you can optimize your patient's health and medications if they are heading into a surgery, and have previous disease conditions like: diabetes, previous MI's or angina, hypertension, COPD, etc.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

• 2 years later...

Archived