Premed 101 Forums

Pediatrics Rotation: Recommended Books

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Here's just some recommendations for both textbooks and ward books based on my experiences in this rotation. I don't claim to know what's best, but this is what I used for this rotation.

Recommended books for Pediatrics:

In your white coat pocket:

1) Tarascon Pharmacopeia

2) Maxwell's Quick Medical Reference

3) Sanford's Guide to Anti-Microbial Therapy

4) On Call: Principles and Protocols ISBN: 0-7216-5079-1

5) +/- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties ISBN: 0-1926-2943-3

At home so you can read up in your spare time (what spare time?)

6) Blueprints Pediatrics ISBN: 0-632-04486-1

Tarascon, Maxwell's, and Sanford's should be de facto members of your white coat until you graduate med school, and probably still after that.

On Call may not be that useful for you, although I think I carried mine anyway. The Oxford Handbook has a pretty good section on Peds.

For further reading, use Blueprints. I didn't buy Nelson's Essentials of Pediatrics (all I know is a lot of my classmates that bought it ended up selling it, but hey, it might still be a good book!) Otherwise, Blueprints does a really good job of giving short sections on most pediatric topics. Unfortunately, Pediatrics, much like Internal Medicine, is much too vast a topic for one person to cover effectively. So, you're pretty much SOL if you expect to come out of this rotation with a comprehensive knowledge base in Pediatrics.

What I would suggest doing is reading the very high-yield topics out of Blueprints: ie: asthma, upper respiratory infections like croup, RSV, ear infections, GI stuff like diarrhea, jaundice, vomiting, kiddie-specific stuff like Kawasaki's disease, growth and development milestones, etc.

Then, use Blueprints to read around your patients, so if someone with Henoch-Schonlein purpura comes in, that you read up a little on that.

The major goal you should get out of Pediatrics is knowing your Growth and Development milestones, knowing common Peds diseases, and in general just getting a good feel for working with sick kids and anxious parents. Nurses are a true lifeline here because they usually form much stronger relationships with the kids, and can therefore tell you much more based on the extra information they learn.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

• 2 years later...

Archived