Premed 101 Forums

any news?

Guest bonjourtoujour

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Nothing on this side of the coast (Ontario) today. We're still just over two weeks away from the end of May, the time at which UBC aimed to have all its packages sent. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Koppertone

I got an acceptance to Manitoba. I want to see if I get in at UBC, but my interview went way better at the UofM so I'm not holding my breath and will hence be moving in a few weeks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Koppertone,

Hopefully your perception of the interview differed significantly from that of your UBC interviewers. :) (I felt very much on the hot seat during parts of my interview at Calgary (a lot more than during the UBC interview), but surprising things can happen.)

If you received an acceptance to UBC, do you think you would move to BC instead of Manitoba?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Koppertone

Well I'm already in BC right now, so it would be the easiest thing to do. Mind you I've already put down my $500 on Manitoba, so I'm not sure how THAT would work. I think it depends which campus I"d get into. If I got into PG now I think I probably would go to Winnipeg, but if I got into Van I think I'd stay. But who's to say. I've already got things in motion so the financial committment is now leaning towards Manitoba (plus their tuition is only $8000/yr!!!)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again Koppertone,

Was the Vancouver option number one on your rank list, and number two was PG, then?

Wow, I didn't realize that UofM offered such a low tuition. I can see how that may be pretty alluring.

Best of luck in the coming weeks. :)

Kirsteen

Guest Koppertone

No I had PG as #1, and I was really excited about the campus. But after reading the information packet from UofM I'm really worried about missing out on a "standard" medical class of say 100 or more people, because it just looks like a lot of fun. Not to downplay the PG campus because it too has some really exciting aspects about it, but I don't want to feel like I missed out on what everybody else goes through. I don't know if that's a good reason to pick a campus though.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there Koppertone,

I respect your idea completely, but I'd think there would be a whole horde of benefits to being in a very small class setting as well. Most especially in a medical school that is very happy to have you there. I imagine that the PG clinicians will be all over the PG students to have them shadow, etc. The attention that each of those medical students shall receive and the opportunities that they will receive to hone their clinical skills shall be enviable, I'd think. Admittedly, I'm a bit biased towards the idea of smaller medical school class sizes to begin with. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

So Kirsteen,

Congrats on U of C. Talk about a few stressful days. I don't remember, did you rank PG as #1?

soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there soapy,

Thanks and yeh, you're not kidding about the stress. All worth it though, since the resolution was great. ;)

Regarding my UBC rank list, no I didn't rank PG as number one, although I loved the idea of being in a small learning group, especially when headed by a cracking fellow countryman. :) My rank list ended up being: 1-Vancouver; 2-Victoria; 3-Prince George.

Lots of luck to you in the coming days. Hopefully you receive your very-much-wished-for packet of PG materials. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived