Premed 101 Forums

About Laval University...

Guest cutieyellow

Guest cutieyellow

Seeing how there's been a few questions about the University and its programme, i figured i'd post up a few things to clarify it as best i can.

1) Laval University is situated in the beautiful city of Quebec. The campus is a gigantic one, lots of trees, green spaces, when not covered up by the immense amount of snow that is ;)

2) Laval believes that seeing how every individual is different, each student must then have different ways of learning. Instead of following suit to the other francophone universities in Quebec which have adopted the Problem based learning approach (PBL), Laval decided to adapt its curriculum. It presently consists of 3 different types of learning.

a) Large group lectures - These are the ones every undergrad is used to, where the whole group is present and there's a lecturer up front.

B)Medium sized groups - Consisting of 15-30 students, these groups are made in order to encourage interaction on a more personal basis.

c) PBLs in small groups - These groups contain about 6-7 students and are the typical problem-based learning that occurs in other schools. It also teaches a lot of the basic interviewing skills.

3) Classes are divided by semester. It's not like other universities which learn the subjects by system (ie. Cardio for 5 weeks then move on to resp for 5 weeks...so on).

Trimestre d’automne (1re année, A1)

Immunologie médicale

Microbiologie médicale

Biochimie

Physiologie humaine

Pharmacologie

Initiation à la clinique I

Histopathologie générale

Trimestre d’hiver (1re année, H2)

Initiation à la clinique II

Appareil cardiovasculaire

Appareil respiratoire

Appareil urinaire et milieu intérieur

Aspects psychologiques et sociaux de

la pratique médicale

Microbiologie - infectiologie

Trimestre d’été (1re année, E3)

Appareil reproducteur

Appareil endocrinien

Revêtement cutané

Stage d'immersion clinique

Trimestre d’automne (2e année, A4)

Épidémiologie appliquée

Appareil locomoteur

Système nerveux

Organes des sens

Éthique médicale et bioéthique

Initiation à la clinique III

Trimestre d’hiver (2e année, H5)

L'enfant, son développement et sa santé

Système digestif

Système hématopoïétique

Initiation à la clinique IV

Psychisme

If you're from Cegep you have the choice to do it in three years instead. Thus the distribution of classes will be different and you'll also have to fit in optional classes (which students from university are credited).

4) Laval accepts Cegep and University students in a proportion of 60-40. However, this might change over the years as there is some pressure to let it become 50-50.

5) Laval only accepts residents of Quebec as well as from provinces with who it has an understanding. These are therefore New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI. They also take 2 international students per year. Here's the distribution.

6) The selection consists of grades, an autobiography and the oh-so-wonderful APS (appreciation par stimulation). Applicants are put in a situation where there exists a conflict and they act as the tertiary person and solve the conflict. This is acted out in a 15 min discussion where applicant is then graded on his communication skills and empathy. More info on the selection criterias is available.

Application deadline is January 15th for University students and March 1st for CEGEP students.

7) The autobiography invites are usually around end March-April, whereas the APS is end of April-beginning of May. Official answers are sent out one week after the LAST APS session. This would be around the 3rd week of May so that your answer comes beginning of June.

8) A typical week at Laval consists therefore of classes/medium groups/small groups which run usually from 8h30-2h30/3h30 (sometimes later, sometimes earlier). Fridays can either be off (if you're lucky enough in your PBL scheduling) or usually end around 11h30.

9) The perks are the anatomy labs (cadaver labs) where you get to see it in the flesh (which in my opinion can't even be compared to the simulated computer ones or Netter-it's so great!) and the visits to hospitals that start in the first semester.

Don't know what to add anymore, i'll add more when things come up to mind.

CY - 2nd year.

Guest fierysweet

Thanks Cutieyellow.

I had never really heard much about this APS. Sounds weird. I interviewed once for a position with the Department of Foreign Affairs and we had to do something that sounds similar. The interviewers had to act the part, and unfortunately they sucked. They had a script that they followed, no matter what your reply was, so the whole scenario was kind of bizarre.

Cadaver lab sounds cool!

• 4 months later...
Guest SebChow

Hello,

Could you give a few examples of situations you were in for the APS interview?

Thanks a lot

Sebastien Chow,

Mtl

Guest cutieyellow

APS can be about anything. It can be about two friends of yours fighting and you have to decide btw the two of them. It can be how you're a doctor and have to announce something difficult. It's all situations that usually are slightly altered from year to year. It's not something you can really prepare for, just go in and be yourself, and be logical in your answers, be ethical and be empathetic.

CY

Archived