Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters for March 15th..

Guest driedcaribou

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Just as a wee FYI, UBC are actively contacting referees. One of mine just let me know that they received a call today. The wee bugger told me that his response to UBC was, "Kirsteen who?". :eek

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

My referee was asked two questions related to two activities on my sketch. So I assume that they are just doing random checks of our activities, as opposed to being worried about forged letters. (Although I suppose that the one phone call could cover both objectives, were the latter the case.) :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest threeputt

I really really really don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but is there a chance they are only contacting referees for those people whom they are considering for admission? Would they bother for people at the bottom of the list?

But I don' t want to squash the hopes of people who's referees haven't been contacted (such as myself) either. In fact, I thought they weren't meeting until April to decide. Just something to think about/discuss/agonize over - take your pick!

Guest physiology

Hello,

Hey threeputt, I doubt it. I mean I don't think they've even gone over the interview scores.

They've been compiled no doubt, but I don't think we've been ranked or anything.

That occurs in early May/late April.

Besides, how could do that? Most people in 3rd and 4th year don't even have all their grades yet.

Cheers,

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I really really really don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but is there a chance they are only contacting referees for those people whom they are considering for admission? Would they bother for people at the bottom of the list?

I wouldn't think that it would be only for those who look good for admission; it's probably just a random check on all fronts. :)

What approach has been taken in previous years re: checking the references? For those of you whose references were contaced, were they contacted post- or pre-interview?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest jazzyjd

Hi all,

just for clarification, were your referees contacted (ie. personal, community, academic) or confirmation contacts for items on the extracurricular list?

cheers

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

It was my reference letter writer that was contacted, but he was also the contact for the two activities about which UBC asked questions. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Koppertone

Well if they WERE to check every activity we've done, it would take an incredible amount of time. I didn't even fill up my activities sheet and I still think it would take an extremely long time to call everybody. As for if my references have been contacted, I have no idea as I haven't been in contact with them for a while other than via email and I'm sure they don't want me harassing them anymore than I have :P . However my one reference has moved to Australia to do some backpacking, so how they will contact her.. NO idea.

Archived