Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters for March 15th..

Guest driedcaribou

Guest driedcaribou

Have all your reference letters arrived?

I'm still missing my personal reference..... I'm going to ahve to call him today and ask about it.. he said he mailed it last month. :(

Anyone else having trouble?

I kind of wished UBC asked for the ahead of time.

Guest kaylen

Really?

Tried to login....my user name/password don't seem to be working. Is the apply online where I am supposed to do it?

Very confused here...

Guest kaylen

No luck for me....for whatever reason my username and password are being rejected. When I click where it says "forgot your password", I get "this system is not active right now". Well, thanks for all your help anyway guys!

Argggghh!

Kaylen

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there driedcaribou,

Two of my reference letters remain to be officially received despite all parties having said that they were sent ExpressPost last week or the week prior. Good 'ole Canada Post shows no history in their tracking facility either. Grrrrr. :x

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest 4EverRose

Hi Kaylen,

I guess you should contact UBC Med to find out what the scoop is with your user login.

I also wonder how long will it take for them to update the document status on the web site. For instance, last time I delivered one of my transcripts in person and it took about 3 to 4 weeks to see its status set to 'Received'. I was rather worried during that time so I ended up emailing them to confirm the status of my transcripts.

If the status of my reference letters are still not updated by next Monday morning, I will probably contact them for confirmation. The fact that on the reference letter it says something like 'if the reference letter is not received by the due date (March 15, 2004) the applicant's file will be closed' indeed sounds a bit scary for me!

Cheers!

Guest driedcaribou

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As of today, I'm still missing a reference.. I e-mailed the office and asked them what I should do.

They said they'd accept a faxed copy in the meantime.

However, this only helps if your referee has made a copy of his/her letter to fax. :(

lol

Bit of a pickle.

Kirsteen: Canada Post is dreadful. I swear express post takes longer than regular mail sometimes... especially when mailing to the US. Other mail services in countries like the US, UK and Australia are sooo much more efficient.

4EverRose: I'd contact the UBC office right away.... I don't know how strict they are with deadlines but from what I've seen in the past.. they seem pretty stiff about it.

kaylen: good luck with your login id and password.

To all: Good luck with your interview!

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there driedcaribou,

I agree re: Canada Post and it's a shame. I still have a couple of waybills tacked to my pinboard from the summer which have no tracking history on the Canada Post site, but which were ultimately received by the intended recipient. It's unfortunate. If they could only get their tracking act together, they have a good opportunity to put a dent in the Canadian priority document delivery market. Och well.

As to my UBC reference letters, given the Canada Post aches, all three of my referees have resorted to sending the documents using their preferred overnight services, e.g., FedEx.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest 4EverRose

Thanks for your advice driedcaribou. I have just login to the web site and found out that all my reference letters now have the status of 'Received'. Note that I actually delivered 2 of these 3 reference letters in person yesterday morning and this time it only take UBC Med one day to update the status. So like what driedcaribou said if yours are still show as 'Not Received' then it you should be contacting UBC Med.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Like 4EverRose, as of a few minutes ago, all three of my reference letters have now been acknowledged as received. Phew. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

It takes one to two days for UBC to update their system when I deliver my reference letters (sealed of course) in person to the office. When I bought the ExpressPost, they told it would be most secure and on time if you hand in the package to be dated than putting it in a mail box. Also buying a $1.50 signature sticker would increase security. I still have my community reference missing "received," but my referee delivered in person on time. Now, I am a little concerned if the letter may perchance be lost in the great piles of papers at the admission office (3X~500?). Still hoping they would do updates faster, and replies too.

Guest ClimbOn

I delivered two reference letters to the office yesterday, and asked the lady at the front desk how long it'll take them to update the document status. She said that since "everyone is away at the interviews", updating documents will be a bit slow. I guess things should speed up again after Monday.

Guest driedcaribou

yy and ClimbOn: Thanks for sharing your stories.. I feel a bit better now... I just have to hope my referee's letter didn't get lost.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As long as you have proof that the reference letters were sent on time, given the precedent, I'm sure that the UBC Admissions folks will be reasonable about those that may not have arrived on time due to otherworldly circumstances. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest kooty

Hey everyone,

Jus to let you know, I didn't have my reference letter show up as recieved for the longest time. I got so freaked out that I had 2 of my referees send another copy by courier (One from thailand!). But the first ones had gotten there, its just that I forgot to sign one of the forms and then they have to contact you and tell you, then recieve a letter from you stating that you forgot to sign it. Another was that one of my referees disappeared so i found 2 others to replace it just in case...adcom asked me which one I wanted.

so don't worry, they may just be trying to figure some stuff out :)

My reference delievered my reference letter this morning in person before 10:30 and I was surprised when I checked in the evening that it is updated at ~6:00. Quite a relief! It is updated quickly probably because it is on top of the pile. My referee said there was a huge pile of reference forms not updated and more mails unopened, so for those out there, don't worry.

Guest jamiel911

I also have one reference missing. However, it was sent during the last week of February. I have contacted both the UBC admissions via email and phone and have my referee send another one. They seem to be slack on the date as long as it enters by the end of the week. That was what admissions told me. Seems kinda odd that it would have been lost.

Guest 4EverRose

Good for you ClimbOn. I understand it is such a relief. For the rest of you, hope your pending reference letters will be processed soon too.

Now I wonder whether the 'site ranking form' will be shown in the web site as well :)

Archived