Premed 101 Forums

Double Cohortion

Guest ttryit

I really don't think that you will see that much of an increase in the number of applicants due to the double cohort. It may be slight, but I wouldn't think it would be more than 10% at the most. The 'double cohort' will not all be applying at the same time! Some will apply this year, some will apply next year and some will wait until later (after grad school or working) to apply.

I wouldn't worry about it too much!

While I agree that everyone in the double cohort doesn't want medicine, consider these facts:

- the number of university applicants to undergrad in the double cohort year was about double (if you assume x% want to go to university, then if you double the sample space, then you double the number that apply to university)

- the universities increased their space by only about 30%, so only the upper achieving applicants got into undergrad.

- if you assume that y% of the university population wants to go to med school, then that would mean that the increase in number of spaces would EXACTLY match the increase in number of applicants (assumed as 30%, above)

- thus you have a 30% increase in the number of applicants, but the applicants are also MUCH smarter then they used to be

- the result would me a SUBSTANTIAL decrease in chances of getting into medicine

Anyone agree? Any other opinions?

tt/

Wow that's an impressive array of stats. I wonder by what percentage your chances would improve if you spent all that time further improving your sketch.

Seriously.. I never get this.. but why stress out so much over something you can't control? If you were in 4th year I'd understand.. lower chances of getting in mean trying to plan out what to do postgrad.. but all doublecohorters are in 3rd year this year where the chances are already slim.. why stress out over it anymore?? Just focus on putting together the best application you can, and there's not much more you can do.

And I don't think DC-applicants are "MUCH" smarter than any other year in the past.

I agree with aneliz - the increased applicants will be spread out over a number of years, so the increase will be minimal if any. In addition, the number of medical school spots in Ontario has increased with the opening of NOMS and the slight increase at other Ontario schools, so that will help a little.

I also don't believe most of your "statistics", although if you have an actual source for them, then I'm ready to be surprised...

First, the number of applicants in the double cohort year is not a useful number, because double-cohorters typically applied to more schools than most high school grads do, largely because of all the media hype surrounding the double cohort.

Second, the statement that "only the upper achieving applicants got into undergrad" is just not true, as far as I remember. Universities increased their spaces substantially, and ended up competing quite significantly for students. Some students may not have gotten their first choices of program or school, but the number who didn't get in anywhere was quite low.

Third, the double cohort was not an isolated year where twice as many students wanted to go to university. It ended up being a slight bump, smoothed out by the students who chose to graduate a year earlier or later to avoid the double cohort year. In addition, demographically, there are more university students each year - classes didn't drop down to pre-double-cohort levels the following year, and are likely continuing to increase in size.

Guest UWOMED2005

There are roughly 1500 seats in medical schools across Canada.

That gives you 1500 shots at getting regardless of how many people apply.

Don't focus on who your applying against, just focus on getting in.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Just to add another thought: although the double cohort might have increased the number of university students by two, there's another reason why the number of applications to medical school for that cohort won't double... ...bell curves. Although double the number of students might be interested in applying to medical school, if bell curves are used within any of the courses (pre-requisite med school courses or others) then presumably a bit of attrition from that extra cohort will occur since not all of those students will be able to achieve marks that will give them ample confidence to apply.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am definitely playing devil's advocate with the application stats, however that is to give myself a "worst-case scenario".

OT6, I am in my final year of grad school, so that is why I am ancy.

Thanks again everyone, and keep the opinions coming!

tt/

Oh, sorry, I guess I made an ass out of me and not you with my assumption. :)

Well ya know what? Being a grad student, and seeing the trends (within my class at least - Ottawa 09), I think you've got a lot more solid shot than the cohorters so best of luck with the application but like I've said.. do all you can do, and just hope for the best.. don't stress out over what you can't control.

Guest PanjabiMD

The double cohort occured in Ontario during the 'phasing out' of OAC (basically Grade 13). Now, Ontario high school students graduate in Grade 12.

What happened was, the last year of OAC graduates had graduated the same year as the first Grade 12 graduates. This caused an increase in University applications (undergrad) from high school.

Hope that cleared things up.

PMD

- Not at all OT6, thanks very much for your input!!

- Yes double cohort is this one.

- DEF'n of Double Cohort - Ontario used to have a 5-year high school program, however that was eliminated after 2002 where it was changed to four years. This theoretically doubled (hence double cohort) the number of high school graduates in 2003. (Theoretically because some students decided to fast track the year before and get done in four years, while some in the double cohort decided to stay back another year). This double cohort group is now at the age where they can first apply to medical school (they are in third year), and it is unknown how they will skew the application pool. There are dire predictions (from me perhaps) that there will be a huge increase of applicants, and these applicants will be much smarter than previous applicants as they had to be really smart to win the competition to get into undergrad in the first place. There are also predictions that the double cohort will make virtually no difference in the applicant pool for reasons such as younger students entering university may have not had the maturity to perform, some students will apply during their fourth year to avoid potential double cohort effects, etc. In reality, nobody (except OMSAS) knows how the double cohort will affect this round of applications.

tt/

Archived