Premed 101 Forums

Integrity

Guest farmfreshdroppings

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there FarmFresh,

If it is, try not to let the integrity "triad" bug you. There's not too much that any of us can do about our UBC interview process at this point. During your interview (and I'm assuming that you had one this past week), did you receive the full triad of "integrity" questions?

On this end, I just defined "integrity" as I recalled it from the dictionary, and how that definition related to my personal perception of the word. Then for each of the follow-up questions, and after a good bit of pondering, delivered a couple of personal scenarios that applied to each of the specifics of their questions. The first related to a work situation (in hi-tech sales and marketing), and the second related to my surgeon boss who continually demonstrates some amazing seemingly superhuman humanitarian values.

Does that help? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest iddle

I read way back in the archives of this forum somewhere a definition of integrity as "how you act when no one is looking." This little gem stuck in my head and I used a variant of it in my interview. BTW, I only got 2 of the integrity questions.

iddle

Guest canstowski

I had more than a "triad". It seems my interviewers dwelled on the "integrity" issue for more than 30 minutes! :x

Such as:

1. Define Integrity in your own terms

2. Cite an situation/example you experience in which you demonstrated integrity.

3. Cite/describe a person/situation in which integrity is not demonstrated.

4. Give a scenario in which a doctor demonstrates integrity.

5. Give another situation in which its is okay for a doctor to be dishonest.

6. Same as question 5 but without the use of a 3rd party.

ARGH! IT seems ENDLESS!!! |I

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

canstowski, so what would that be called? A sextet of "integrity"? Yags. It sounds as though they flung the whole bank at you. That's interesting, actually, as the sheets that my interviewers had in front of them seemed to have sections of questions. My interviewers seemed to choose questions from each (and each section appeared to have 5-10 questions each) and then move on. Perhaps your other responses went so swimmingly that they decided to kill some time by flinging all the "integrity" questions at you. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest physiology

EVERYONE got this question I think.

In hindsight, I could have extrapolated on what I said. But oh well..it's over and done with.

I defined integrity as "holding true to my values." These values encompass ones that I hold as a student (academic integrity), my own personal integrity, and the integrity I hold as a Vancouver citizen (what my responsibilities and roles are, etc).

My friend gave a really good answer. She listed some of the same things as above, but she also described integrity as being "quiet." Think about that - and it'll all make sense.

I just wish I had said that :)

Guest natmac

After I answered what I thought integrity was, one interviewer started into what he thought it was... which was nothing like what I had said. Then another interviewer piped up and said what she thought it was, which was exactly what I had said. We actually started discussing the question for about 10 minutes... does it change over time?... is it something personal or something society must recognize?

In the end, the panel admitted that this was, in their view, a very stupid question to ask in an interview. They had the same reaction to many questions... starting off with "this is a doozy" or "I'm sorry to have to ask this".

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Have you guys tuned into some of Paul Martin's words over the past 36 hours or so? A good dose of "integrity" being mentioned. Kind of cute in a timely sort of way. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Makunouchi

One I took a while to answer because I couldn't think of a personal experience right then and there... after answering they told me a personal experience that I had already mentioned through another question. silly me.

Yes... Paul Martin sure is talking a lot lately... hope it's not all talk. ;)

I answered my in terms of therapeutic integrity and professional boundaries. And thus, I only have the first 2 questions, as I am only a student at this stage and my definition don't really apply. However, in retrospective, maybe my answers were off in a tangent

Guest kooty

Hi Everyone,

Oh boy, the integrity group was a killer. I was wondering if you guys all thought that it would be ok to use non-health care examples in the answers to the integrity questions. I tried to bring a lot of different aspects of my life into the interview and for the integrity questions I talked about past experiences I had...nothing to do with health care.

Do you think that there is a right answer to this integrity group of questions? Because I gave some answers that I thought were pretty different than what they may have been looking for :(

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

As long as you had a decent idea of what integrity is and could demonstrate that via your responses, I assume you would be fine. Your interviewers probably did not care from where your examples or anecdotes came to demonstrate experiences involving integrity, unless of course, you received one of the aforementioned questions specifically asking for a medically-related example. :) I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived