Premed 101 Forums

Africa

Guest Windig0

Guest Windig0

Hi,

I would like to goto Africa to do some humanitarian work in my 4th year, it's not really for medical school as opposed to personal reasons. Does anyone some good and, more importantly, safe organizations to join?

Please don't list MSF as one of the organizations, I've heard some nasty rumours.

Guest TheShrink

do share :smokin ,lol :P . Are you from Africa originally? Perhaps you can look at establishing contacts in your home country? If not Google it ;) .

hi wind,

I have the same interests as you except i would like to do my placement over the summer.

This summer I went to Peru through Global youth network. It was a great experience, and one of the most economical i've seen. I'm not sure what kind of humanitarian work you want to do (I didn't do any medical related work there), but they can range from a variety of places such as politics, community building, fight for justice, etc. The thing is... GYN is run through the university so if your university doesn't have a GYN organization, you might have to find a different route. Their afica contact is Kenya I believe...

Has anyone gone to Africa to do Medical related work??.. and has actually dealt with helping doctors/nurses and seeing patients as to just doing paperwork or doing education/prevention? I want to get involved esp. with AIDS victims but don't want to be just doing sexual education/prevention... would like to get more exposed to the medical part of it as well. if anyone has any good experience.. please share

Guest docormama

I was able to go to Cameroon for one of my final nursing placements. I worked in a clinic in a rural village. The staff at the clinic were about equivalent to one RN, one RPN, a pharmacy tech and a lab tech. The care was very basic.

While I was there, I observed patient visits, assessed vision and distributed eye glasses, administered oral polio vaccinations, assisted with prenatal care, did health teaching in a couple of classrooms, and explored several other health clinics and hospitals. I also climbed a mountain, swam in the Atlantic ocean in March, and learned how to barter.

I absolutely loved the experience and would highly recommend a similar one to anyone who is interested. I set mine up through my university. Depending on which school you go to, it is probably an option. Or maybe CIDA? You should start looking into it now though. It takes a bit of time to arrange, get the vaccinations, find money, etc.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Megan

Guest FungManX

Hey Megan,

I'm just wondering which nursing school you went to?

I want to go to a nursing school that allows their students to go to different parts of the world for nursing placements soo let me know!

Thanks

Guest Windig0

I'm going to UTSG for life sciences, although hospital work would be preferred, its not essential. I do not want to volunteer in a small run down community where some of the... not so pleasant things happen for my own personal sake.

hi meagan,

your experience sounds amazing! how long was your trip? do you think such experiences are unlikely for someone with just and undergrad degree?

Thanks.

Connie

Guest blinknoodle

One of my friends went to South Africa this summer for 2 months through Child Family Health International - www.cfhi.org. She absolutely enjoyed herself, learned more about South Africa, helped out in medical clinics and ambulances, saw her own patients, etc. Although she was a medical student, she said there were pre-med students there as well who basically had the same rotations (I'm not sure if you would have your own patients, but you would help out in the clinics). I'm sure the organization could help you if you needed any further info.. but I just thought I'd pass along the two thumbs up from my friend.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest docormama

I went to Nipissing University in North Bay, ON. The director of nursing is also filling the Dean of Arts and Science role and is a really great, open-minded guy.

It sounds like there are other schools that allow international placements as well. If you want to know more about Nipissing, check out http://www.nipissingu.ca or msg me if you have any questions.

Archived