Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS sketch: activities since age 16?

Guest HenryTheBig

Guest HenryTheBig

Hey guys,

I have an activity that I performed when I was 15 but I was turning 16 at the end of the year. If I had turned 16 in january then the activity would have counted but since my B-day is at the end of the yr it doesn't count?

Henner

Guest kellyl20

well, if you wanted to follow their directions.......

Doesn't really matter. My sibling followed the directions to the letter and since they graduated from high school at 16 they only listed activities which they were still doing at age 16. The list would have been longer if not for the restriction, but hey, they got in after 3 yrs of university, so their list would only have summer before 1st yr, 1st yr and 2nd yr university up to the time of their application.

Guest uftstudent

1.Just to clarify...should i mention the date the activity was started (even if it is before the year i turned 16), as long as it continued PAST age 16?

2. Also, under former education would you mention completing high school?

3. And, regarding categories...I was in a club during one school year for which we won a competition, can i include the club as an EC separate from the competition as an Award? Or is this pushing it to make extra entries?

Thanks alot for all the help!!!:)

Guest sparkle2005

1) When I called and specifically asked about that, I was told that the starting date for any item on the sketch was to be no earlier than my 16th birthday. So even certain things which I had done my entire life, or done for 5 years, I only put the start date as (for example) February, 2000. (if I was born Feb. 1984) You might want to contact the specific school you are applying to, if you want a specific answer from them! So if you finished before you were 16, I personally wouldn't mention it. I had a couple things that ended just before that, and couldn't write about them because of it, but I figured that it's still better to show you can follow the directions they ask for. If it's something life altering you can mention it in supplemental parts of the application, or in the interview!

2) I did. I think its obvious, but I figured it couldn't hurt!

Good luck!

Guest sparkle2005

Honestly, I can't quite remember where I called... I'm pretty sure I spoke to someone at OMSAS, as well as McMaster, and I know I spoke to someone at Ottawa. I just found it easier than emailing, becuase you catch the person for a minute or so, and then they dont have to worry about getting back to you. Look around the OMSAS website, and you might find some sort of phone number!

Guest madison2001

I've put the accurate start date for all my activities, whether it was before 16years of age or not (ie I've been playing baseball since the age of 6 so put the start date from 1989 - present).

I was under the impression that as long as the activity was continued through the age of 16 it was valid. Will the schools have problems with my sketch or can I just leave it?

thanks

Guest blinknoodle
I've put the accurate start date for all my activities, whether it was before 16years of age or not (ie I've been playing baseball since the age of 6 so put the start date from 1989 - present).

I was under the impression that as long as the activity was continued through the age of 16 it was valid. Will the schools have problems with my sketch or can I just leave it?

That was how I approached it with my application. However, that was two years ago so I don't know if things have changed since then... Best to check with each school that interests you, I suppose.

I would *NOT* include anything that you started and finished prior to turning 16. That is quite explicit in the OMSAS guidelines.

Archived