Premed 101 Forums

Application question

Guest MrNeuroscience

Guest MrNeuroscience

I am sure many applicants have been in this boat before, but being a first time applicant I could use some advice. I am in the process of completing my applications for my chosen med schools, but I am going away on a volunteer program to India for the entire month of October. Most of the schools I am applying to have deadlines after Oct 1st, but seeing as I am going to be away participating in this program on Oct 1st I am not quite sure how to include this experience on my applications... or if I even can. Considering I will not be done my volunteering until Oct 31st, how do I account for this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and good luck with the applications!:\

Guest NurseNathalie

Mr. Neuro...

I was in a similar situation last year. I definetly think its worth being on your sketch, even if it will not be finished by application deadline. I mean, that's a very rich and worthwhile experience.

Have you done other volunteer work in the past?

what I had done, is link it to other activities as well... to showcase my values, and that I do value community involvement(volunteered at several places since I was 10 yrs old)...

because I like it- not just to look good on paper when applying to med school.

def. put it on there! you can also elaborate on that experience when coming for the interview :)

Guest MrNeuroscience

Hi N.N.,

Thanks for the reply. Essentially my concern is that putting down something in my sketch that is yet to be completed would be frowned upon... so its good to know it isn't!

As for my previous volunteer experience, I have a fair bit, including a similar experience in Ghana last summer. I absolutely agree with you that things should not be added just to look good on a med school app., if that were the case, I definently would have taken this trip before the deadlines!

I will definently heed your advice!:D

Archived