Premed 101 Forums

GPA vs cGPA

Guest Jochi1543

Guest Jochi1543

I feel that I've posted this before and got no reply, but I did a search in both this and the old pre-med forum and didn't find any thread about this. I keep hearing about cGPA and GPA both on the forum and when I go through med schools' sites. Is that a Canadian thing? Here in the US they are only interested in your GPA (as in all your grades over all your years of school, aka cumulative GPA) and only sometimes in your major GPA (all the grades in courses that are part of your major). So, when speaking in Canadian terms, I assume cGPA stands for cumulative GPA, or simply "GPA" in US terms.8o What about GPA vs cGPA?8o I'm confused.

Guest scrubbed

Hi Jochi,

The distinction, I believe, is that some Canadian schools allow you to subtract your lowest course marks or consider your best two years, among other options.

Thus, cGPA indicates GPA for all courses taken whereas GPA indicates GPA for the given school's formula.

The latter may also be expressed as weightged GPA or wGPA.

For example, those applying to OMSAS may receive an OMSAS GPA or a cGPA for all their courses taken whereas they would receive a higher GPA or wGPA based on the school they apply to.

Regardless of the names, I hope that the principles make sense.

Cheers!

Archived