Premed 101 Forums

REALLY OFF TOPIC... WELL NOT REALLY

Guest toothy1985

Guest toothy1985

HI i have been working at tim hortins part-time in the school years and full-time summers for over six years, i started when i was 14. I know that it is off topic but wud a reference letter from my manager be good because i showed consistency (making coffee!!!) and stuck to a job liek this for a long time. i did work as a research assistant at the same time but i thot maybe a job at timmmies wud pay my bills so never really quit. So do u think it is a good idea to get my boss' refernce letter?

Guest s sadry

i think its admirable that you tried to you pay your way through university, and that you were dedicated in doing so.

if my boss knew me well, and if he said he'd be able to write a strong reference, i think i'd go for it.

and if maybe he focused on your customer and co-worker interaction (in addition to your great coffee making skills :b )...it could work well!

I don't see a problem with having your manager as one of your referees... I had the manager of a small retail business I worked for write one of mine. As long as they emphasize the things that they have seen that would be relevant to your application - ie team work, communication skills, problem solving, dealing with difficult people, etc and don't attempt to comment on your academic skills that they have not seen. There are lots of skills from retail and customer service areas that are very relevant to health care.

Archived