Premed 101 Forums

need reference letter help please!

Guest uftstudent

Guest uftstudent

Hi...

One of my references isn't really used to writing med school reference letters...and I was hoping someone could give me some pointers about the general format...

What would the opening statement be?...To whom it may concern, Dear Admission Committy? What's the norm? Are there any examples available?

About a page long...should they just launch into talking about your good qualities and discuss particular tasks they've seen u perform (like a volunteer coordinator discussing your duties?).

thanks alot!!

Hi. Just thought I would pass along a good tip. From a previous post, it sounds like you're applying through OMSAS. On the referee form, there are some (though few) instructions for referees. They are supposed to check boxes indicating your strengths in different areas (intellect, initiative, maturity, etc.) and attach a letter commenting on these characteristics (ostensibly because they are the ones that are important for medicine). In my own reference letters (I got to write a couple for my referees) I structured the letter around those characteristics and provided brief examples for demonstration. For example, my volunteer experience at a cancer treatment centre shows that I am dedicated to helping others...

Give your referees your CV and they can also comment on things outside their own experiences with you. Just make sure that your referees know you well and will write GOOD letters. Then you're off and running!

Archived