Premed 101 Forums

Easier to get into UBC Med now & Shortage of docs?

Guest atworknow

Guest atworknow

Hi, I got 2 questions that I hope to get the insight from you guys.

1. Is it easier to get into UBC Med school these days due to the expansion of the program from 128 students in the past to 224 students this year?

Do you guys think it is easier?

2. Do you guys think that the shortage of physicians in Canada still apply even after 10 years from now? My worry is, if I do get into medicine next year, by the time I graduate, will it be too many physicians already, due to the recent expansion of the MD program (particularly in BC)?

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOUR INSIGHT.

Guest kaymcee

First rule with any and all online bulletin boards: do not cross-post. It wasn't necessary to put this in two locations, forget the three that you chose. Put your thread in one location because most people read all the forums.

I think the answer to your first question can be found in the admission statistics for the most recent years. Average entering grades have stayed about the same or gone up with the expansion of BC's medical school. I believe averages will remain about the same and an additional 96 people will become lucky. If one were to look at the "worst" applicant in a class of 128 medical students, I don't think he or she would be different at all from the "worst" applicant in a class of 224 students.

I'm not sure about your second question. The shortage you are referring to is a nation-wide problem, and nearly every report I hear of says medical schools are not expanding fast enough to keep up with the shortage. So, I don't think there will be a problem with employment. The day Canada has too many doctors...

Archived