Premed 101 Forums

Reference Dilemna...

Guest dayne67

Guest dayne67

Hi, I just needed some advice on who to choose for my referee for this year's application cycle.

I applied last year, and did not receive any interviews last year. I think that it was mostly because of my low MCAT scores (I got a 26 N). I rewrote the MCAT this year, and I am reapplying.

Last year, I got a reference from an engineering professor who I had worked extensively with him for over two whole summers under two NSERC awards. Moreover, I was in two of his classes, in which I did quite well. He wrote the reference and filled in the assessment form. He forgot that he was not supposed to let me see the letter, and he mailed it to me after he sent it to OMSAS. I did not know what it was, so I ended up opening it and reading the contents. Although, the letter used really positive adjectives (ie. "great", "excellent", "intelligent", "honest"), and said that I did well in his classes and did great research and that I that he whole heartedly endorsed my application for medicine, it was really short. When I read the letter, it felt like something he put together in 5 minutes. This professor knew me quite well and seemed impressed with my work, but he did not really spend any time writing a good letter.

My question, is do I go back to him this year or should I go with another professor?

Archived