Premed 101 Forums

How would an undergraduate go about publishing a paper?

Guest snplow

Guest snplow

Hey all,

I have a question as to how an undergraduate go about publishing a paper. I was a 1st year student (going into 2nd year this fall) and I have already had a work term with a prof, not really doing research work, but helping out in the lab. I have already learned so much but I think with the skills that I have learned, and the suggestions from this board, I would like to publish a paper. Unfortunately, my prof is on holidays and won't get back until I go to university (a different one this time). Does anyone have any comments about the process of publishing a paper?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The key to getting your name on a published paper is to have a role in the research that the supervisor feels is important enough to warrant inclusion of your name in the paper. If you look at some of the criteria for authorship on the webpages of the big medical journals, e.g., the BMJ, Lancet, or JAMA, they should give you a good guideline as to the types of tasks that warrant inclusion of a name in a paper. These normally include design of the research, execution of the analysis, authoring/editing the paper, etc. So, in short, unless your supervisor is willing to place your name on a paper for mixing good northern buffer, try to become involved in those types of tasks in the lab and it might increase your ability to have your name on a paper.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest snplow

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I do have a few more questions if you don't mind. Is there any way I can ask my supervisor for more of a role in his research work diplomatically? I don't want to go in and ask him directly as that seems rather impolite. Should I let him know that I have had previous experience with research work before and that I can take on a more central role or is that a little too blunt? Thanks!

Guest wab8611

hey snplow

this has nothing to do with the original questions, but i was wondering how did you go about obtaining a research position after first year?

thanks

wab811

Guest blinknoodle

snplow,

I'd suggest discussing your progress to date with your supervisor - like how did this summer go? And then ask them where they see it progressing and how you'd prefer to be more directly involved with a research project, because XYZ. This way you can both see where each other is coming from.

wab,

There are many ways to find a research position - doing it through internal NSERC competitions, emailing/contacting research supervisors, applying for summer research programs (ie. Sick Kids), applying for courses that give you practical research expreience (ROP 299Y), etc.

The key is to show interest and persistence in finding a job.

For some earlier threads about finding research experience, see:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...1098.topic

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=720.topic

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=846.topic

Archived