Premed 101 Forums

NSERC?

Guest wab8611

Guest wab8611

so i was wondering, first, what are the chance of a first year student getting a research grant? second, how would they go about doing this?

thanks

wab8611

Guest natman

As far as I know, NSERC summer research awards are based pretty much strictly on grades...so if your grades are good enough (I believe at UVic it was around an 8.0/9.0 or 85% average to be competitive) then you have a good chance.

I think the applications go out in February and you fill it out and pass it along to the head of your department/faculty with transcritps.

Hope that covers it.

Natman

Guest peachy

The criteria for NSERC USRA's (undergraduate student research awards) are determined individually at each University and vary wildly. While some schools determine it based on grades only and don't open the competition to first-year students, others have quite different criteria. So it won't be helpful to you take a survey of how various schools across Canada distribute their allotment of USRA's - you'll have to find out what the rules are at your school.

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=172.topic

Guest wab8611

so..basically, from what i read from the link it NSERC is given to those who want to persue research in post undergrad education?

i thought i once read that first year students could get this grant also, but they would just need to have a 4.0 cGPA.

i also had another question - how can i go about doing research? i know that most likely you would have to apply for it or have the prof invite you, but are there any other ways? im interested in doing research on genes and genetics, (it will be my specialty), but since im only a first year student my background on the topic will be limited.

Guest medeng

NSERC operates a number of programs, the PGS A/B awards are for graduate school (MSc/PhD). The PGS awards are awarded by NSERC themselves, with quotas for each school. Most schools also do a pre-screening of applications so that NSERC doesn't have to sort through all the applications.

There are also USRA awards. These are funded by NSERC, but unless you actually want to do your research with somebody at NSERC, they are awarded by the individual schools. Each school will set their own criteria for how to get one. If you want an USRA, I would suggest you start talking to profs you would like to work with. They will know how to go about getting one in your school/department, and sometimes you actually will need to get a supervisor to 'nominate' you for an award, so talking to them early will help in this regard.

I'm not sure how it works at your particular university, but from experience at Ottawa U, your faculty will collect the applications and creat a list based solely on your GPA. The top 20 applicants get scholarships, collectively from every year.

Also, as part of the application, you'll need a professor to sponsor you. This involves taking a look on your school's website at each professor's interests and research field and then contacting them... earlier rather than later!! I'd say earlier than February... as soon as you get back from holidays. If they agree to sponsor you, they'll write a little blurb about the project that you'll be working on but, it could be a nobel prize winning project... could even be the cure for cancer, but if you don't make the top 20 on the list, you're not getting the grant.

There are other options though!!

There are numerous organizations out there that will offer grants for students who want to do research... the cancer society, Heart and Stroke foundation etc... and the bonus is that these are based less on GPA and more on a positive attitude and that award-winning blurb about the project... just spend some time surfing around their websites and you'll find the links...

The U of O also offers a program called work-study... basically, you get your chosen prof to agree to pay a quarter of your salary and the University will cover the rest up to 5000$ for the summer. You have to qualify for financial assistance, which requires a little budget form and you have to get the prof to post the job online to make things official, but it's a way for those people who don't quite have the GPA to still do some research.. and it turthfully almost pays as much... undergrad research ain't glamourous.

The other option, if you're not bogged too far down with homework and not so concerned with money, you can talk to a prof and possibly get into the lab as a volunteer. It would probably require a time commitment of 5-6 hours a week to make it worthwhile for the prof, and might be tougher if you haven't taken any courses related to their field yet... but, if you can get in and prove yourself capable and self-sufficient, the prof might just hire you outright come summer.

Again, research these early! It sucks surfing around in early Februray and realizing that the due dates are past or all the great profs are already taking students....

Right now though you should focus on school... if you can manage to keep the GPA up, you'll keep the windows and doors open.

Best of luck, hopefully that'll help a bit... personally, for all the advice I'm giving, I was never able to get into a lab, volunteering or otherwise. My GPA was good, but not stellar and it seemed like I was always missing the deadlines and opportunities... moral of the story... stay on top of it!

Regards,

-Tristan

Archived