Premed 101 Forums

When schools speak of GPA cutoffs...

Guest Jochi1543

Guest Jochi1543

...do they mean your cumulative GPA or your GPA on their particular weighted scale? For example, if a school says smth like "we look at your last and your best years," are these two years the only years that matter when they determine who doesn't pass the cut-offs? Or do they consider all 4-5 years and look at the last and best years when it comes down to scoring your application? Like, if a school's GPA cut-off is 3.7, and your last and best years are 3.8, but your cumulative for your entire college career is 3.6, do you meet their standards? 8o

Guest kaymcee

Read the websites of the schools for which you wish to gain admission. Since I'm not entirely sure which school(s) you are referring to, I'm going to throw a whole bunch out there. (To help people give you advice, it's best to mention the school(s) you're talking about.)

If you're referring to UWO's 3.7 cutoff, they only require that you have ONE full-time year above 3.7 to be eligible for an interview, and TWO full-time years above 3.7 to be eligible for an admission offer (the second of which could be the one you complete in the April before admission). After you receive an interview, I'm not sure to what extent your GPA counts.

Queens' cutoffs are for receiving an interview only. If all the university courses attempted are more than 3.66, as was the case for last year's admission, and you make the MCAT cutoffs, then you will get an interview. If your overall average doesn't make the grade, but your two last full years do, and you make the MCAT cutoffs, you will also get an interview. After this, GPA is meaningless.

When Toronto talks about average admission GPA, I'm assuming they talk about their weighted GPA for those students that are eligible for the formula, and the cumulative GPA for those that aren't. The same likely goes for Ottawa. I'm sure they would look at your weighted GPA as your "true" GPA. (Since NOSM and Ottawa use a similar weighting system, they're probably the same in this regard.)

Archived