Premed 101 Forums

Pecs University

Guest DoNair

Guest DoNair

Has anyone heard of Pecs University in Hungary? I checked out ValueMD.com and while there is a ton of internation schools listed, there is no mention of Pecs. A google search shows no useful information.

Pecs has a faculty of medicine that offers a 4 year MD program, and claims that graduates can do residencies in Canada and the US.

They have a prospecticus that gives all sorts of facts and figures that are used to make it look good. They claim that the school gives an opportunity to people who can't get in to med school in North America because of too strict restrictions. This all sounds very similar to those shady Carribean schools where they take your money and you have a hell of a time getting residencies in the US.

A family friend has informed me of this school and says that there are a few seats still available and that if I jump on this bandwagon now (by Sept 3) I can get in to this school. This sent out a bunch of red flags for me. I don't know if this is just another batch of Carribean-like schools popping up or if this may be legit. The tuition there is about $10,000 US per year, which compared to US schools is cheap.

I am hesitant to go near this because I am already applying to US schools this year and have a shot there. Then again, it's not much of a shot.

Any advice?

Guest arachniphobic730

see if you can personally contact the school and get more information on it first...

if you're interested in international schools, you should check out st. christopher college in the uk. the first two years you do in the uk and the clinical years you can do in the US or Canada...(this is from previous int'l post)

http://www.stchris.edu

good luck

Guest FungManX

Hey arach.,

I'm just wondering if you have any more information on that school?

Like.. GPA/MCAT requirements..

I thought schools in the UK only offer the M.B.B.S degree?

Guest arachniphobic730

hey,

i've checked out the website, but they dont' give any specific information on gpa/mcat cutoffs...i guess you could contact them if you wanted more info....

Guest FungManX

Hey arach. I just did that..

they said the prefer students with 3.0GPA and Mcat is not a requirement so students will not be penalized for not having taken it..

wow.. Is it really that easy to get in though??

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey there,

I don't know anything about it, but is this the school that's chartered in Senegal and just happens to teach classes in the UK? There was a thread on it a while ago, but most of it seems to have gone to the bit-bucket(1)

I did a quick google ('cuz I needed a break from packing), and it looks like there's a whole forum dedicated to St. Christopher's at valuemd(2). Enjoy.

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFDCj+0/HNgbK3bC2wRArcKAJ4iSt2gQ4zrEhpcYq2vRnSEX8DMzQCfYH3n

q2puPssbCcFifV8SkOTRg/Q=

=CY8R

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

(1) Thread on St Christopher's.

(2) St Christopher board at ValueMD.

Guest marbledust

There is also a far bit of "info" on St. Christophers to be found on SDN under the international section. Doesn't sound all that promising--as ploughboy mentioned, the school is chartered in Senegal; it seems to have developed a bit of a dubious reputation, although the school does have supporters on SDN.

Guest UWOMED2005

It may be "possible" to do a Canadian residency graduating from Pecs.

But I've personally never met a resident who did the their training at Pecs. . .

Pretty much the same goes for St. Christopher's. . . may be possible, but I'd be skeptical.

Particularly if you want to do a competitive specialty when you got back to Canada.

Archived