Premed 101 Forums

confused froshie!

Guest Bia UT

Guest Bia UT

Hi everyone!

ill be an international student at UTSC this year..and tok my GCEs' instead of attending high school. Like AP , GCE's are given credits, and i received 3.5 credits for my GCE studies.

Now technically, at the end of my first year, i would have completed 8.5 credits, and will be classified as a second year student. (3.5+2.5+2.5)

And so, by next aademic years end, i would have completed 13.5 credits, and would be classified as a third year student. Should I give my MCAT that august? Will i be eligible to do so?

Im really confused...anyone receiving AP credits or so..please help me by suggesting your plans...

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Guest arjuna83

Hi,

You technically don't need any formal post-secondary education in order to write the MCAT. Most Canadian students need to complete atleast one year of university studied in order to gain a solid background in general biology, molecular biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry and physics (first year courses suffice).

I was in a similar situation as you. I completed my GCE A/L's outside Canada, and noticed that quite a bit of first year university material (sciences) was covered extensively in the A/L's. I suggest that you purchase an MCAT review book (Kaplan, Princeton Review, ExamKrackers etc.) and guage your knowledge level. If you think you match up to what's required, give the MCAT a go!

Guest peachy
I suggest that you purchase an MCAT review book (Kaplan, Princeton Review, ExamKrackers etc.) and guage your knowledge level.
Or, less expensively :) , there are a few free MCATs online (eg on the Kaplan or Princeton Review websites). Just try one and see how you do - that will give you a good sense of how much you know.

Guest Bia UT

Thank you for your replies.

On talking to students at my univ. i was told that there are certain courses i shoulddd take before giving the MCAT.

However, i wont be completing them till i am in my third year...

Archived