Premed 101 Forums

Health Sciences Extra Curriculars !!!!!

Guest triumph

Guest triumph

Since school is starting in September, and the program of choice for me is the McMaster Bachelor of Health Sciences Program.

I was wondering, does Application Committee call the school to research on the person? (i.e. E.C's etc.)

Or are the E.C's mentioned in the supplementary

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!!!!

Guest Elaine I

Hi Triumph,

When you apply to medical school, you submit lists of your activities, including post-secondary education, employment, volunteer work, extra-curricular activities, awards and research. (These are the categories that OMSAS uses - other schools may use slightly different categories, but essentially the information is the same.) Most schools require to you submit essays with your applications. In addition, all schools require you to attend an interview prior to being accepted into medicine. Activities that you were involved in outside of school will definately help you in these areas.

Med schools will not "research" you; however, they may call to verify the accuracy of the statements that you made.

Best wishes starting university in the fall! Study hard, and get involved in the activities that you enjoy. Then, when the time comes, you'll be able to apply to med school (if that is still what you want). Meanwhile, you will have enjoyed undergrad. Don't worry about doing activities that you think you need to do to apply to med school - any that you enjoy and learn from will do!

Elaine

Guest alan15

Triumph,

From my experience, what happens at the point of application is that you fill in an online extracurricular vitae, listing all of your non-academic achievements of importance and then submitting it before a certain deadline. As for whether or not the school's ad com will scrutinize each individual's application for dishonesty is their call, but personally I don't think they will or can call up each applicant's (hundreds or thousands of them) individual school and individual EC departments and coordinators within those schools just to screen for dishonest applicants, not at the initial stage anyways. However, do not be tempted to play fraud, as they certainly will scrutinize each applicant as the application pool narrows down and they try to make the final cut.

Good luck,

Alan

Guest blinknoodle

It has been a long while since I looked at the application to Mac's BHSc, but I don't recall you needing to provide a verifier for all your activities. You need to supply 1 or 2 (I forget which) names of referees which could be called, though.

In actuality, the supp app is not focused on listings your accomplishments/ECs/etc, moreso your answers to the questions and why you'd be a good fit with the program.

Good luck!

Guest zhenlun

im curious as to why it matters to you whether they call or not?... if its a valid activity then you have nothing to worry bout whether they call or not

Guest kaymcee

zhenlun, it's not a matter of the activities being exaggerated or completely fabricated, it's the hassle in finding people to verify every little thing that you've done.

Guest zhenlun

well seeing how this is only a undergrad application i doubt you're going to be putting every single activity that you've done in ur whole life, you're most likely going to put the activities that mean something to you and you have a great deal of involvement in, so it shouldn't be a hassle to find the contact info, stuff becomes a hassle when you start putting in filler activities that ur not that closely associated with

Archived