Premed 101 Forums

Stand-By? Sunday? aamc...soooo not impressed...

Guest peeps

hi. wondering if anyone can help me out pls with advice. i am signed up for the 20th, but a month ago my girlfriend bumped her wedding from next summer to mcat day (her mom is pretty sick). no biggie. i call aamc..they say "no problem". fax us with required info, credit card, testing center, SIN, etc to change to sunday. i do.

so. no card in the mail. get the saturday one...wonder what's going on...called today...they inform me that they never "got" the fax ( i obviously kept the copy and the transaction report saying it went through - they don't care). so, today (as i am crying like a girl - well, i am a girl, but you get the idea) on the phone, "dick" (that's really his name) tells me there is NOTHING they can do. i can standby at the closest center (not my original site - an hour away - hamilton)...but NOOOO guarantee or a spot.

so - do i miss the wedding (i'm the maid of honor) or take a chance on the sunday standby..? he said the center isn't "full"...but has anyone ever done this?

thank you in advance if you can help me out. needless to say, i'm kinda freaking out a bit.

peeps

ps - i also posted in sdn...sorry if you read this twice...

Guest Conus Arteriosus

I'd definitely go to the wedding and take my chances on standby. Plus 'dick' said the centre is not full so you might luck out. You can write the exam in April or next year again too, unless you applied for med school this year.

Guest Elliott

Agreed. You will most likely be too distracted and upset if you write on Sat. If you don't do well because you weren't in the right frame of mind, then you are still out the cash AND you did poorly. I think I would just rather be out the cash if given the choice...

Take your chances on the stand-by - if it's meant to be, it will work out.

Your friend will only get married once. There are many chances to write the MCAT.

Cheers,

E

Archived