Premed 101 Forums

"Year" of Courses question need help!!

Guest cam

I'm going into 3rd year in the fall and was planning on applying to some med schools after 4th year.

I'm in an honours science degree program and must stick closely to the required type of courses.

Since most of the courses will be science courses in my 3rd and 4th year my plan i made for courses includes the courses i think would improve my gpa the best.

My 3rd year fall term includes 3 2nd year courses and 2 3rd year courses and my winter term will include 4 2nd years and 1 3rd year

For my 4th year the fall term will basically be all 3rd year courses and the winter term will have a couple 4th year courses with the rest 3rd years

So what i'm wondering is will med schools care that much about what year the courses are in?....b/c i really dont wanna take 3 4th year chems and bio's each term in my last year. it would just bring down my average

Guest ADD100

In my personal opinion, you should try taking at least 60% of courses that correspond to the year of your degree to be safe.

The following is what Univerity of Toronto has to say about it:

"14) Will my application be affected if less than 60% of my course load corresponds with my year of study? Will it even be considered?

Having less than 60% of the courses correspond to the year of study will not invalidate the application. The main requirement of the Admissions Office is that a candidate is fulfilling their degree requirements. Although no preference is given to program of study, a student’s choices within their given program may be used as an evaluation factor. Examples of aspects examined may be one or all of the following (as applicable):

? Progression from lower level of courses to more advanced ones

? Progression from a general course of study to a more specialized one

? Pursuing an interest in a field of study outside the chosen major

If a candidate falls below the 60% guideline due to the degree requirements of their particular program they will not be penalized in the admissions process.

"

Source: www.facmed.utoronto.ca/En...136-1.html

If there are other medical schools that you are particularly interested in, the best bet will be look into the admission requirements, FAQs that they have published, or to contact them directly. I do not know of any single policy followed by all medical schools on this subject matter.

Archived