Premed 101 Forums

My GF needs your help

Guest wab8611

Guest wab8611

hey

my gf had a gpa of 1.5-1.9 (with 3 classes at uoft stgeorge).. i was wondering what steps might she have to take in order to get into med school, or at least be competitive..

i know she might have to take a five years in undergrad and graduate school..

your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Guest Silverbullet

A Divine Intervention

However, assuming that God doesn't take a special intrest in this case, she would need to bring her GPA up sigificiatly in whatever years she has left to even have a shot at it.

And I believe she will need a good reason as to why she did so poorly at the start assuming she can bring up her GPA.

Guest HenryTheBig

Hey,

I would tell her not to worry too much about EC's or volunteer work yet. She should just concentrate on raising her gpa. Too many people worry too much about EC's and volunteer work and thus their gpa suffers. EC's and volunteer work can always be done later. Western requires 2 full time yrs for the gpa calculation and they won't look at any other years. After her gpa has been raised...then it's time to tackle the mcat. A good gpa (>3.7) and a good mcat (~30 with a 10/10/10) will get her in somewhere eventually. Her EC's and volunteer work really doesn't have to be stellar.

Henry

Guest UWOMED2005

As long as the girlfriend does well, in a full-year term, for the next few years she should be fine.

One bad year WON'T kill an application. . . at least to most schools.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest miss83

Not all is lost, although she may have to do another 5 yrs or so with a much better avg. Perhaps she should try switching to another program that she would enjoy more or that would give her a chance to do better. And as Henry said, she should focus more on her grades for the time being, and maybe try and fit the extracurricular stuff in during the summer, because as endingsoon said, most schools don't look at summer grades (not sure about all). Anyways, she'll need to really get her act together if med is what she really wants to do.

Guest wab8611
what was her high school marks and what year is she in

well in highschool she had a 87% average, but i dont see why this would be relevant becuase most of what you do pre-university has no real meaning? also she is entering her second year right now. i tried to tell her that she should try and take 5 courses per year, but instead she took 4. i know she has to have at least 2 full course years in order to apply to most medschools in canada, and be competitive. she also going into her second year with out having any EC's, Volunteer, or Research experience.. i know she can get it later on..

anyways i dont know what else to write, and im not even sure if any of this made sense, but i have to run..

thanks everyone for your help, its greatly appreciated.

wab8611

Guest peachy
my gf had a gpa of 1.5-1.9 (with 3 classes at uoft stgeorge).. i was wondering what steps might she have to take in order to get into med school, or at least be competitive..
Personally, I think that she should forget about "becoming competitive for medical school" right now, and deal with getting her grades up next year. If she can get good grades in 2nd year, then she can look into the details of applying to medical school, and how many years in undergrad, and so on. Does she understand why she did so poorly? Does she have strategies for improving her grades? Has she talked to the people at the Counselling and Learning Centre to figure out how to do better? It is not easy to pull up your grades from a 1.9 to a 3.9. It's doable, but it's really hard. It's not going to happen (for the vast majority of people) without concrete changes in her study habits, her attitudes, and so on. That should be the focus right now, not "getting into medical school".

Guest triumph

well said

if shes onlie in her first year and she gets a gpa like that then she should think of upping her marks

that blot in her record may go a long way

Archived