Premed 101 Forums

Correlation btw scores on AAMC tests and actual MCATs?

Guest madison2001

Guest madison2001

I know this question has been asked a million times, but I've heard differing opinions and am a little confused...

For those who've already written the MCATs, was there any direct correlation between your actual MCAT scores and scores obtained on AAMC practice tests?

I've heard talk of the tests getting progressively harder as the years go on and that 3R-6R are extremely easy in comparison to the actual test.

Opinions?

Guest squeegy80

My score was actually higher on the real MCAT than in any of the 3R-7R practice tests.

If you take a full day between practice tests to look at the solutions and go over your answers, you should improve as you go along, and then hopefully into the real MCAT. It's all about knowing how to write the test!

Good luck!

I think it depends how closely you match the exam conditions when you write the practice tests. I could simulate the time schedule (taking the same breaks and cutting off at the same times), but it was harder to simulate the nervous energy from others in the room.

I scored fairly closely, though my MCAT scores were slightly lower (found the actual MCAT much harder on the physics section - but there were at least 4 different versions of MCAT during the writing, from discussions with other writers, seems I got the hardest questions).

You can only do the best that you can on that day... try not to overanalyze or be too hard on yourself - easier said than done :)

Guest circusgirl

I think there's a whole big chunk of luck involved. What types of questions you get on the AAMC, what types of questions you get on the MCAT, whether you're good at them, and whether everyone else in the world is good at them relative to you.

as for me, my physical score fell 2 or 3 and bio score fell 1 from my last aamc mock (and were pretty consistent too). But of course I'm sure there are other confounding factors in this that are hard to pinpoint (like whether I was nervous or cocky which caused me to screw up or whatnot).

like I said, luck. And I hope I'm luckier this coming week :)

Archived