Premed 101 Forums

procedure on actual MCAT testing day

Guest frenchfrog

Guest frenchfrog

I had two questions regarding MCAT testing:

1) Imagine I finish a section 45 minutes early :\ .

Do I have to stay where I am until time is up or

can I get up and leave the exam room ahead of time?

2) What happens between the writing of the two essays?

Do they call time for the first and IMMEDIATELY start timing for the second, hardly giving you time to turn the page or recoup from the first essay?

1) When I wrote it.. we had to wait. I was done bio with like 1/2 hour left, double and triple checked and was ready to go be we couldn't :(

2) No not immediately, you don't get the two prompts together. You get the 2nd one after your 1/2 hour to write the first one.

Guest Madz25

1) The only times you are allowed to leave the room is during lunch and designated breaks. If you finish early, you must stay seated until time is up.

2) You get a small break inbetween the 2 prompts as they take time to collect and distribute material for each prompt. They don't give them both together.

Guest s sadry

i seem to get pretty hungry if i don't eat in the breaks....i start to lose focus and hope my stomach stops growling.

i was wondering, where are your bags placed (with the food)..outside of the room? by your desk? at the front of the room??

did you guys get a chance to eat in the breaks??

For me, bags were under our chairs, but I heard this varies by administration. And yah, eating during breaks is possible and I think it's a good idea (along with peeing, even if you don't feel like you need to).

Guest s sadry

thanks.

and at our PR mocks-- they always state, "in the real MCAT-- there will be no food/drinks allowed".

so you guys weren't allowed water bottles on your desk?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

When I wrote the MCAT at the Holiday Inn on King (Toronto) students were allowed to have water on the desks while they wrote as I saw some big water bottles dotted around the desks in the room during exam writing.

Also, there, with respect to the writing sample, we were given both answer booklets simultaneously, before the Writing Sample section began. Both booklets had seals on them and both were self-contained units, that is, they each contained the essay question and lined answer pages. Also, the first booklet had "1"s printed all over the top of every page and the second had "2"s. Once we were finished the first essay, we had no time for a break in between; we then broke the seal of the second booklet and started writing in it, but we were given the warning that we were not permitted to return to the first test booklet at all (hence the reason for the clear display of the "1"s and "2"s, I imagine).

My first writing of the MCAT, eons ago, was at UofT. There they seemed much more strict re: what we could and could not do and the total process seemed to take much longer. I get the feeling that the atmosphere and rules can be softer or harder depending on test writing location, i.e., it's adjudicator-driven.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I think at most centers they let you have a water bottle, but ask you to put it on the floor so that if it spills you don't wreck yours/others tests.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Way back when, at the UofT testing site, they didn't permit any food nor water anywhere near the desks during the exam. That policy might have changed by now (hopefully), but then you had to leave all your consumables with your other belongings.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest dr555

Does anyone know if the picture they ask for has to be an official passport photo, or if it would be fine to just use a digital camera and print it 2x2?

Archived